News
Dambazau: State Police Must Not Be Under Gov’s control
Retired Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau, a former Chief of Army Staff, says establishing state police will only be effective in Nigeria if it is strictly professionalised.
Dambazau told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that state policing must be insulated from the control of state governors to prevent its weaponization against political opponents.
He also called strict, non-compromised profiling, vetting, and training of personnel to guarantee competence and curb misconduct.
The framework, he added, must include standardized, national oversight and operational guidelines to prevent potential human rights abuses or the emergence of ethnic militias
“It requires training, equipment, discipline, accountability, transparency, adherence to the rule of law, and respect for human rights.
“So in all , where you have state and national police, if you don’t enhance the quality, make the force professional, then you won’t have the results expected.”
He noted that with regards to insecurity, the targeted communities were in the rural population, adding that in those areas, there is hardly no elements of law enforcement in those communities.
“Probably that is why people are calling for state police. But of course, the state policing requires what the national police requires.
“I believe that people are calling for that because they think the system we have is too centralised. Therefore, if you decentralise it, it will work. Yeah, it will work only if you make it professional.
“To make it professional, you have to train it well, equip it, ensure there is absolute discipline, and that the welfare of personnel is taken care of very well.
“You have to also ensure that they meet the minimum universal standard of policing. Of course, beyond that, you have to ensure that there is trust.
“You build trust and confidence between the police and the public, whether it’s state or not, because where the public doesn’t have trust, then it becomes a problem,” he said.
Dambazau who is now Nigeria’s Ambassador designate to China, said: “This is why sometimes even communities would contribute money to bandits to protect them against other bandits.
“So to me whether state police or not, the standard must be monumental. If your state creates state police and the standards are not there, then you are going back to square one.
“So of course the states will have to be ready to fund it adequately. Human capital development is an ingredient in ensuring security,” he added. (NAN)
International News
Enzo Maresca Gets 3Yr Deal To Replace Pep At Man City
Enzo Maresca is believed to have signed a three-year deal to replace outgoing Man City manager Pep Guardiola, after it was revealed that the legendary head coach will be leaving the Etihad at the end of the season.
Speculation around Guardiola’s departure date has been rife as the season draws to a close, despite the Catalan having one year left on his contract.
According to report, Man City’s sponsors were among those to have been told that Guardiola will be calling time on a remarkable trophy-ladened spell on Sunday.
The report also shared that Maresca, Guardiola’s former assistant, was a front-runner for the vacant spot at the dugout, with Fabrizio Romano confirming on Tuesday morning that the ex-Chelsea manager will be taking over.
The Italian head coach has been out of work since his mutual departure from Stamford Bridge under strained circumstances on January 1.
But even before his acrimonious mid-season exit, Maresca has been viewed as a long-term successor to Guardiola following their stint working together at Man City.
The 46-year-old served as Guardiola’s assistant between 2022 and 2023 after previously coaching Man City’s youth sides, before departing to earn Championship promotion with Leicester.
Maresca then went on to win the Uefa Conference League and the Club World Cup with Chelsea during his 18-month spell in west London.
Guardiola is set to celebrate his time in English football with an open-top bus parade in Manchester after winning the Carabao Cup and FA Cup this season, but until Monday night, the manager had been notably vague over his future plans.
But before news broke of his shock exit, Guardiola had been keen to tamp down any suggestions that he would be commemorated with any fanfare.
‘The club don’t have to do anything, honestly,’ Guardiola, who has yet to officially confirm his departure, said. ‘The important thing in our lives is that when you look back, you can look with a big smile and say “that was good”.
‘Bernardo (Silva) and John (Stones) can feel that. We spoke about it over the last few days. When you’re old, a grandfather, you can look at the memories. That is the most important thing in life.’
Tired of addressing his contractual situation, Guardiola added with a dose of sarcasm: ‘Whatever happens at the end of the season – and when I extend my contract for three more years – I can look back and say, “how nice has that been?”
‘That is the most important thing by far. Most of the people who lived this time here together can feel it.’
International News
Arteta: I Will Be The Biggest Ever Bournemouth Fan Against Man City Tonight
Mikel Arteta says he will be the “biggest ever” Bournemouth fan when the Cherries take on Manchester City on Tuesday.
Arsenal moved a step closer to winning their first Premier League title since 2003-04 after a narrow 1-0 win over Burnley on Monday.
Kai Havertz’s first-half header was enough for Arteta’s side to secure all three points at Emirates Stadium, moving them five clear of City ahead of the final day.
City have a game in hand, which is their trip to the Vitality Stadium, where Pep Guardiola’s side must win if they are to stay alive in the title race.
Arteta revealed he will be watching City’s fixture against Bournemouth, though he will not be in contact with Cherries boss Andoni Iraola.
When asked if he will be a Bournemouth fan on Tuesday, Arteta said: “The biggest ever.
“For Andoni [Iraola] and all the players, and all the people who are supporters of Bournemouth, I think we all are. We know that means, they get our support.
“I don’t think he [Iraola] needs it [a message]. What he’s done in that football club, the transformation, and what they are playing for, I don’t think they need anything else.
“When you look at how Burnley played today, the spirit that they showed, how difficult they made it, so imagine [on Tuesday].”
Since losing 2-1 to City, Arsenal are the only side to win all of their matches (4/4) and also the only side not to concede a goal in the Premier League.
Arsenal have kept 32 clean sheets this season, six more than any other side in Europe’s top five leagues in all competitions.
On Arsenal’s defence, Arteta added: “I think the desire that every single player shows in their defensive duties, their behaviours, the way they work for each other is phenomenal.
“It’s a lot of work, put in by all the coaches as well, and we all know the importance of that and how many results and wins we have because of that.”
Business
Togo Grants Visa-Free Entry To African Nationals
The government of Togo has announced the removal of visa requirements for citizens of all African countries visiting the country for short stays of up to 30 days.
The announcement was made on Tuesday in a statement issued by Togo’s Ministry of Security through its official X (formerly Twitter) handle.
According to the ministry, the policy is aimed at strengthening African integration and promoting the free movement of people across the continent.
Under the new arrangement, African nationals holding valid passports will be permitted to enter Togo without a visa for visits not exceeding 30 days.
“Togo takes a historic step in strengthening African integration. Henceforth, all nationals of African states holding a valid national passport may enter Togolese territory without a visa, for a stay of up to 30 days,” the statement said.
It added that the reform reflects the commitment of the country’s leadership to making Togo a hub of openness, mobility and cooperation within Africa.
“Through this major reform, the President of the Council reaffirms his commitment to making Togo a space of openness, mobility, opportunities, and cooperation at the heart of the African continent,” it added.
However, travellers will still be required to complete an online travel declaration on the official government platform at least 24 hours before arrival to obtain a travel clearance slip.
The ministry said the policy reinforces Togo’s dedication to regional integration and stronger diplomatic and economic ties among African nations.
The decision follows similar visa-free initiatives adopted by countries such as Rwanda.
In a related development, the Nigeria government has also begun implementing a 30-day visa exemption policy for Rwandan nationals entering the country.
-
Health & Wellness9 months agoPresident Tinubu Directs Cut in Dialysis Cost from ₦50,000 to ₦12,000
-
News10 months agoPICTURE: In Lagos Couple Sentenced to 22½ Years for Cannabis Trafficking
-
Trending News9 months agoNELFUND Disburses ₦86bn To 449,000 Beneficiaries
-
Business2 months agoDangote Refinery Reduces Petrol Gantry Price To ₦1,200 Per Litre
-
International News2 months agoIndian Police Arrest Nigerian Over ₦290m Drug Haul
-
Business2 years agoHeritage Bank Customers’ Path to Securing ₦5m Insured Funds: A Step-By-Step Guide by NDIC”
-
Business2 months agoAfter Plea Bargain, Court Discharges Stella Oduah of ₦2.5bn Fraud
-
Business2 years ago
Dangote; We Did Not Fix ₦600/Litre Petrol Price
