Connect with us

Entertainment

Chidimma Adetshina, Miss South Africa Hopeful, Quits After Citizenship Row

Published

on

Spread the love

A Miss South Africa contestant whose Nigerian heritage sparked a national controversy and a government investigation withdrew from the beauty pageant Thursday.

Chidimma Adetshina’s announcement that she would not take part in Saturday’s final came a day after the Home Affairs ministry accused her mother of fraud and identity theft.

“After much careful consideration, I have made the difficult decision to withdraw myself from the competition for the safety and wellbeing of my family and I,” Adetshina, 23, wrote on Instagram.

Adetshina, a law student, has been the subject of vicious, xenophobic attacks on social media since she was announced as a finalist in July, with many — including cabinet ministers — questioning her credentials because of her Nigerian descent.

Adetshina has previously told local media she was born in Soweto to a Nigerian father and a South African mother of Mozambican descent.

The ruckus led to an investigation into her citizenship following a request from the pageant’s organisers.

On Wednesday, home affairs minister Leon Schreiber said the investigation uncovered “prima facie indications” that Adetshina’s mother might have committed fraud and stolen the identity of a South African woman.

The ministry said it was obtaining legal advice on the implications of this on the citizenship of Adetshina, who was an infant at the time of the alleged fraud.

South Africa grants citizenship by birth to anyone born in the country after 1995 to a South African parent or permanent resident.

 

Adetshina’s participation in the pageant stoked anti-foreigner sentiment in the nation, which has witnessed violent, and at times deadly, attacks on immigrants in the past.

Politicians, celebrities and ordinary citizens weighed in on the debate. While many came to her defence, others argued she should be disqualified.

Announcing her decision to quit, Adetshina thanked everyone who “stood beside me right from the start of my Miss South Africa journey”.

“I am really grateful for all the love and support I have been shown,” she wrote.

 

Entertainment

Reactions As Davido Vows To Quit Politics Says: Nigerian Politics Is Evil

Published

on

Spread the love

 

David Adeleke Davido has registered his intention to play any further active role in Nigerian politics, describing it as evil.

 

Afrobeats superstar Davido said he wants to distance himself from Nigerian politics after his uncle, Ademola Adeleke, secured re-election as the Governor of Osun State.

Davido made the declaration while reacting to a post by APC youth leader Dayo Israel, who had attributed Adeleke’s victory partly to the singer’s influence and the people he brought into the campaigns.

Rejecting the claim, Davido said he did not bring anyone to defend him or support his political involvement, insisting that he backed his family in his own way.

“I brought no one! No one defended me! I backed my family on my own!! You guys r ruthless n disgusting! Eeewwww! I have done my job! Nigerian politics is evil AND I DONT WANT TO BE A PART OF IT TILL GOD HELPS US!”

The singer, who had been vocal in his support for Adeleke during the election, appeared frustrated by the criticism he received while campaigning for his uncle.

His comments have since triggered mixed reactions on social media, with some users supporting his decision to step away from politics, while others urged him to remain involved ahead of the 2027 general election.

@OOmale60434: “Davido you lie. You are not going to jump ship simply because your uncle has won. If you are indifferent in 2027 election then you will not have it funny. The masses stood by you and now you are trying to put them away. That’s preposterous.”

@madex_4: “If we no get the presidency right, u will still come back to this app again to FIGHT for another member of ur family bcos the system is not working for us all, e.g., @inecnigeria … those of us retweeting ur tweets by default during ur fight are not STUPID.”

@chrisMoAde: “God bless you more champ If All Celebrities can be pulling off this type of strings against ‘Them’ they might turn new leaf My late dad hate Politics and Nigerian Police like Hell More winning Sir”Geographic Reference

@Gabriel84744012: “David, you see as you supported your family and made sure your uncle win, abeg if e reach 2027 presidential election we also need same energy… which one be say you no wan be part of it again”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Two Soldiers Acting As Bouncers At Peller’s Wedding Arrested

Published

on

Spread the love

 

‎The Nigerian Army has arrested two serving soldiers over their alleged involvement in an unauthorised deployment during the glamorous wedding ceremony of Nigerian content creator Habeeb Hamzat, known as Peller, and fellow TikTok personality Jarvis.

 

According to report, the arrests were made on Tuesday evening following intelligence which indicated that the soldiers participated in an illegal deployment at the celebrity wedding held in Lekki, Lagos State, over the weekend.

‎The soldiers were apprehended on Tuesday morning as investigations into the incident commenced.

The arrested personnel were identified as 23NA/85/10007 Private Onasanya Ifeoluwa of the 81 Division Medical Services and Hospital (81DMSH) and 23NA/85/7885 Private Ukpai Onyinyechi, also attached to the 81DMSH in Obalende, Lagos.

‎”Following credible intelligence on the involvement of Nigerian Army personnel in illegal deployment during a popular social influencer’s wedding known as Peller at Lekki, Lagos, the Group arrested 23NA/85/10007 PTE Onasanya Ifeoluwa of 81 Division Medical Services and Hospital (81DMSH) and 23NA/85/7885 PTE Ukpai Onyinyechi of 81DMSH at Obalende this morning.

‎”Preliminary investigation is ongoing to establish the extent of their involvement and identify other personnel connected with the incident. Further details will be forwarded as the investigation unfolds,” the report said.

The arrests come after videos from the high-profile wedding circulated widely on social media, showing uniformed military personnel providing security around some of the celebrity guests.

‎One of the videos, which drew significant public attention, allegedly showed a Nigerian soldier acting as a bouncer for TikTok personality Ivanna while escorting her through the crowded venue.

‎The footage triggered widespread criticism online, with many Nigerians questioning why military personnel were allegedly deployed to a private social event involving influencers and celebrities.

Peller and Jarvis’ wedding, held in Lekki over the weekend, attracted several prominent entertainers, social media influencers and content creators. Videos from the ceremony dominated social media platforms, with large crowds of fans and guests in attendance.

‎The event became one of the most talked-about celebrity occasions of the weekend, but controversy soon followed after clips surfaced showing men in military uniforms managing access to parts of the venue and escorting some attendees.

‎The Nigerian Army has repeatedly maintained that serving personnel are prohibited from undertaking unauthorised private security duties or participating in illegal deployments without official approval.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Oprah Winfrey To Close South African Girls’ Academy

Published

on

Spread the love

 

American media mogul Oprah Winfrey has announced that the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls (OWLAG) in South Africa will close in 2027, marking 20 years since its founding.

 

The tuition-free boarding school, which opened in January 2007 following a pledge made to former South African President Nelson Mandela, was established to support academically talented girls from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Under the original partnership agreement, the school campus will be returned to South Africa’s Gauteng Department of Education after the 2027 academic year, while current students will receive full funding to complete their education.

Winfrey plans to transition her support into a new scholarship program designed to expand educational access for more young women across South Africa.

Reflecting on the milestone, the 72-year-old philanthropist praised the achievements of over 1,000 graduates and reaffirmed her commitment to empowering young women through education.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG