Connect with us

International News

Deadly Typhoon Hits Taiwan, Six Sailors Missing After Ship Sinks

Published

on

Spread the love

This photo taken on July 24, 2024 shows fishing boats berthing at a port to avoid Typhoon Gaemi in Xiamen, in eastern China’s Fujian province. (Photo by AFP) / CHINA OUT

 

The strongest typhoon to hit Taiwan in eight years killed five people and flooded parts of the island’s second-biggest city on Thursday, with rescuers searching for six sailors missing after their cargo ship sank in the storm.

 

Typhoon Gaemi transformed streets in southern Kaohsiung city into rivers, with some households flooded by rainwater. Schools and offices were closed in several cities for a second day, with the stock market suspended and thousands of people evacuated.

 

Gaemi also exacerbated seasonal rains in the Philippines on its path to Taiwan, triggering flooding and landslides that killed 20 people. A tanker carrying 1.4 million litres of oil sank off Manila on Thursday, with authorities racing to contain a spill.

 

The storm had weakened by Thursday morning and “the centre has moved out to sea” at around 4:20 am local time (2020 GMT), Taiwan’s weather authorities said.

 

Taiwan’s fire agency said it received a report early Thursday that a cargo ship had sunk off the island’s southwestern coast, forcing its nine Myanmar crew members to abandon ship in life jackets.

 

“They fell into the sea and were floating there,” said Hsiao Huan-chang, head of the fire agency.

Hsiao did not specify when the Tanzania-flagged ship sank but adverse weather conditions hindered the search, which involved rescue aircraft and had been ongoing since 3:30 pm (0730 GMT).

 

Taiwan’s Coast Guard later issued a statement saying that two crew members were brought to a police station in the late afternoon.

 

“They were confirmed to be the first mate and chef of the ship,” the Coast Guard said, adding that authorities expanded a shore patrol and found another sailor.

 

“The Coast Guard will continue to expand the search for the remaining crew members who fell into the sea,” it said.

Gaemi made landfall in China’s Fujian province shortly before 8:00 pm local time (1200 GMT) on Thursday, Chinese state broadcaster CCTV said.

 

Mudslides, falling trees

In southern Taiwan’s Pingtung county, an Indonesian freighter had to be anchored at a beach during the storm, with local TV footage showing massive waves crashing into it.

 

Taiwan’s Coast Guard said the crew was safe, “with no loss of power and oil leakage”.

Gaemi made landfall in Taiwan on Wednesday night with sustained wind speeds of 190 kilometres (118 miles) per hour at its peak.

 

At least five people were confirmed killed and as many as 500 were reported injured.

A motorist in Kaohsiung was crushed by a tree and a woman in eastern Hualien died after part of a building fell on her.

 

A third person was killed when mudslides hit two houses in Kaohsiung, trapping two people. A woman was rescued from one but the second person was found dead.

 

Another man was killed in southern Tainan, authorities said, while a fifth person was killed by a falling tree.

 

Taiwan’s defence ministry also announced Thursday that its annual Han Kuang war games, in which some drills had already been cancelled due to the weather, had ended a day early and troops were sent to help local governments with disaster rescue work instead.

 

Hundreds of domestic and international flights were cancelled again because of the storm.

Flood warnings 

Fujian province in China had already suspended all train services and put in place the second-highest flood warning alert level before the storm arrived.

 

The national water resources ministry warned on Wednesday that extremely heavy rains were expected to swell rivers and lakes in Fujian and the neighbouring province of Zhejiang.

 

In the Philippines, clean-up efforts were under way Thursday in the capital Manila as residents and business owners dumped soaked mattresses, bags of rubbish and other debris on muddy streets.

 

Street vendor Zenaida Cuerda, 55, said the food she had been selling had washed away and her house in Manila was flooded.

 

“All my capital is gone,” Cuerda told AFP. “I have nothing now, that’s my only livelihood.”

 

The region experiences frequent tropical storms from July to October but experts say climate change has increased their intensity, leading to heavy rains, flash floods and strong gusts.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AFP

International News

Enzo Maresca Gets 3Yr Deal To Replace Pep At Man City

Published

on

Spread the love

Enzo Maresca is believed to have signed a three-year deal to replace outgoing Man City manager Pep Guardiola, after it was revealed that the legendary head coach will be leaving the Etihad at the end of the season.

 

Speculation around Guardiola’s departure date has been rife as the season draws to a close, despite the Catalan having one year left on his contract.

According to report, Man City’s sponsors were among those to have been told that Guardiola will be calling time on a remarkable trophy-ladened spell on Sunday.

The report also shared that Maresca, Guardiola’s former assistant, was a front-runner for the vacant spot at the dugout, with Fabrizio Romano confirming on Tuesday morning that the ex-Chelsea manager will be taking over.

The Italian head coach has been out of work since his mutual departure from Stamford Bridge under strained circumstances on January 1.

But even before his acrimonious mid-season exit, Maresca has been viewed as a long-term successor to Guardiola following their stint working together at Man City.

The 46-year-old served as Guardiola’s assistant between 2022 and 2023 after previously coaching Man City’s youth sides, before departing to earn Championship promotion with Leicester.

Maresca then went on to win the Uefa Conference League and the Club World Cup with Chelsea during his 18-month spell in west London.

Guardiola is set to celebrate his time in English football with an open-top bus parade in Manchester after winning the Carabao Cup and FA Cup this season, but until Monday night, the manager had been notably vague over his future plans.

But before news broke of his shock exit, Guardiola had been keen to tamp down any suggestions that he would be commemorated with any fanfare.

‘The club don’t have to do anything, honestly,’ Guardiola, who has yet to officially confirm his departure, said. ‘The important thing in our lives is that when you look back, you can look with a big smile and say “that was good”.

‘Bernardo (Silva) and John (Stones) can feel that. We spoke about it over the last few days. When you’re old, a grandfather, you can look at the memories. That is the most important thing in life.’

Tired of addressing his contractual situation, Guardiola added with a dose of sarcasm: ‘Whatever happens at the end of the season – and when I extend my contract for three more years – I can look back and say, “how nice has that been?”

‘That is the most important thing by far. Most of the people who lived this time here together can feel it.’

Continue Reading

International News

Arteta: I Will Be The Biggest Ever Bournemouth Fan Against Man City Tonight

Published

on

Spread the love

Mikel Arteta says he will be the “biggest ever” Bournemouth fan when the Cherries take on Manchester City on Tuesday.

 

Arsenal moved a step closer to winning their first Premier League title since 2003-04 after a narrow 1-0 win over Burnley on Monday.

Kai Havertz’s first-half header was enough for Arteta’s side to secure all three points at Emirates Stadium, moving them five clear of City ahead of the final day.

City have a game in hand, which is their trip to the Vitality Stadium, where Pep Guardiola’s side must win if they are to stay alive in the title race.

Arteta revealed he will be watching City’s fixture against Bournemouth, though he will not be in contact with Cherries boss Andoni Iraola.

When asked if he will be a Bournemouth fan on Tuesday, Arteta said: “The biggest ever.

“For Andoni [Iraola] and all the players, and all the people who are supporters of Bournemouth, I think we all are. We know that means, they get our support.

“I don’t think he [Iraola] needs it [a message]. What he’s done in that football club, the transformation, and what they are playing for, I don’t think they need anything else.

“When you look at how Burnley played today, the spirit that they showed, how difficult they made it, so imagine [on Tuesday].”

Since losing 2-1 to City, Arsenal are the only side to win all of their matches (4/4) and also the only side not to concede a goal in the Premier League.

Arsenal have kept 32 clean sheets this season, six more than any other side in Europe’s top five leagues in all competitions.

On Arsenal’s defence, Arteta added: “I think the desire that every single player shows in their defensive duties, their behaviours, the way they work for each other is phenomenal.

“It’s a lot of work, put in by all the coaches as well, and we all know the importance of that and how many results and wins we have because of that.”

Continue Reading

International News

Neymar Included In Brazil’s 2026 World Cup Squad (FULL LIST)

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Brazil superstar Neymar was handed a dramatic recall to the country’s World Cup squad on Monday, returning to the national team after a near three-year absence.

 

The inclusion of Neymar, Brazil’s all-time leading goalscorer with 79 goals in 128 appearances, was the biggest surprise in the 26-man squad named by coach Carlo Ancelotti.

Ancelotti announced Neymar’s selection at a gala ceremony in Rio de Janeiro, with loud cheers ringing out as the veteran attacker’s call-up was confirmed.

Speculation has raged for months over whether the 34-year-old former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain attacker would force his way back into the national team set-up.

The forward, a veteran of the 2014, 2018, and 2022 World Cups, had not played for Brazil since suffering a knee injury during a World Cup qualifying game against Uruguay in 2023.

A mixture of injuries and poor form had left him outside the national team setup, with Ancelotti citing concerns over his fitness after leaving him out of Brazil’s squad for March friendlies against France and Croatia.

However, Neymar, who rejoined boyhood club Santos in January after an injury-ravaged stint in Saudi Arabia, has now earned Ancelotti’s stamp of approval for the World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Brazil, who are chasing a record sixth World Cup crown, open their World Cup campaign against Morocco on June 13 before playing Haiti and Scotland in Group C.

Brazil World Cup Squad

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool/ENG), Ederson (Fenerbahce/TUR), Weverton (Gremio/BRA)

Defenders

Alex Sandro (Flamengo/BRA), Danilo (Flamengo/BRA), Leo Pereira (Flamengo/BRA), Bremer (Juventus/ITA), Douglas Santos (Zenit St Petersburg/RUS), Gabriel Magalhães (Arsenal/ENG), Ibanez (Al-Ahli/KSA), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA), Wesley (Roma/ITA)

Midfielders

Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle/ENG), Casemiro (Manchester United/ENG), Danilo (Botafogo), Fabinho (Al-Ittihad/KSA), and Lucas Paqueta (Flamengo/BRA).

Forwards

Endrick (Lyon/FRA), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal/ENG), Igor Thiago (Brentford/ENG), Luiz Henrique (Zenit/RUS), Matheus Cunha (Manchester United/ENG), Neymar (Santos/BRA), Raphinha (Barcelona/ESP), Rayan (Bournemouth/ENG), Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid/ESP)

 

AFP

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG