News
EFCC Boss Orders Officers To Apologise To UUTH Surgeon Over Raid
Ola Olukoyede, chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has directed that an apology be made to Eyo Ekpe, a professor of cardiothoracic surgery at the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH), and members of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA).
In a statement on Monday, the commission said the directive follows the receipt and consideration of a preliminary report on the May 12, 2026, incident involving its personnel and medical staff of the teaching hospital.
The EFCC said Olukoyede expressed regret at the discomfort that the unfortunate episode caused for staff of the hospital and members of the public.
“Pursuant to the receipt and consideration of a preliminary report on the May 12, 2026 incident involving personnel of the Commission and medical staff of the Uyo University Teaching Hospital, the Executive Chairman, Mr. Ola Olukoyede has directed that an apology be made to Professor Eyo Ekpe, the Deputy Chairman, Medical Advisory Committee of UUTH, and members of the Nigerian Medical Association, NMA,” the statement reads.
He acknowledged that the wellbeing of Nigerians is at the core of the commission’s mandate and reiterated that the EFCC would carry out a full investigation into the incident, assuring that officers found culpable would face disciplinary measures.
The EFCC chairman said the commission is determined to work with stakeholders to prevent a recurrence of such incidents in the future.
He added that the “unfortunate incident” would not deter the commission from pressing ahead with the execution of its mandate in any part of Nigeria.
He also appealed to the NMA and other professional bodies to continue supporting the EFCC in its anti-corruption efforts.
News
We’ll Mobilise Only Graduates With NERD Certificate – NYSC
The National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, has reaffirmed that it is committed to enforcing the Federal Government’s directive mandating all Prospective Corps Members to present a compliance certificate from the Nigeria Education Repository and Databank, NERD.
The Director-General of NYSC, Brigadier General Olakunle Nafiu, stated this in his keynote address at the 2026 Batch ‘B’ Pre-Mobilization Workshop themed, “Strengthening Institutional Accountability and Compliance in the NYSC Mobilization Process for Effective Service Delivery,” held in Abuja.
He appealed to Corps Producing Institutions to adequately sensitize their students and ensure strict compliance with the initiative.
General Nafiu emphasized that the mobilization process was not the sole responsibility of the NYSC, urging regulatory bodies, security agencies, and relevant ministries to provide the necessary support through policy guidance, capacity building, and enforcement of compliance standards.
He said, “When we work in synergy, we ease the path for our Prospective Corps Members, ensuring that their transition from student to national service is smooth, transparent, and credible.
“Let us be bold in confronting the obstacles before us and creative in fashioning solutions that will stand the test of time.
“Let us build a more accountable, transparent, and efficient mobilization process for the benefit of all,” he said.
Earlier in her address, the NYSC Director, Corps Mobilization, Mrs. Rachel Ideawor, described the Pre-Mobilization Workshop as a vital platform for fostering collaboration between the Scheme, Corps Producing Institutions, and other critical stakeholders.
She noted that although significant progress had been made in enhancing the NYSC mobilization process, there was still a need to optimize service delivery across the entire mobilization value chain.
“I urge our Student Affairs Officers to approach their responsibilities with diligence and integrity, ensuring that the information provided accurately reflects the true profiles of Prospective Corps Members,” Ideawor said.
News
Dambazau: State Police Must Not Be Under Gov’s control
Retired Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau, a former Chief of Army Staff, says establishing state police will only be effective in Nigeria if it is strictly professionalised.
Dambazau told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that state policing must be insulated from the control of state governors to prevent its weaponization against political opponents.
He also called strict, non-compromised profiling, vetting, and training of personnel to guarantee competence and curb misconduct.
The framework, he added, must include standardized, national oversight and operational guidelines to prevent potential human rights abuses or the emergence of ethnic militias
“It requires training, equipment, discipline, accountability, transparency, adherence to the rule of law, and respect for human rights.
“So in all , where you have state and national police, if you don’t enhance the quality, make the force professional, then you won’t have the results expected.”
He noted that with regards to insecurity, the targeted communities were in the rural population, adding that in those areas, there is hardly no elements of law enforcement in those communities.
“Probably that is why people are calling for state police. But of course, the state policing requires what the national police requires.
“I believe that people are calling for that because they think the system we have is too centralised. Therefore, if you decentralise it, it will work. Yeah, it will work only if you make it professional.
“To make it professional, you have to train it well, equip it, ensure there is absolute discipline, and that the welfare of personnel is taken care of very well.
“You have to also ensure that they meet the minimum universal standard of policing. Of course, beyond that, you have to ensure that there is trust.
“You build trust and confidence between the police and the public, whether it’s state or not, because where the public doesn’t have trust, then it becomes a problem,” he said.
Dambazau who is now Nigeria’s Ambassador designate to China, said: “This is why sometimes even communities would contribute money to bandits to protect them against other bandits.
“So to me whether state police or not, the standard must be monumental. If your state creates state police and the standards are not there, then you are going back to square one.
“So of course the states will have to be ready to fund it adequately. Human capital development is an ingredient in ensuring security,” he added. (NAN)
International News
Neymar Included In Brazil’s 2026 World Cup Squad (FULL LIST)
Brazil superstar Neymar was handed a dramatic recall to the country’s World Cup squad on Monday, returning to the national team after a near three-year absence.
The inclusion of Neymar, Brazil’s all-time leading goalscorer with 79 goals in 128 appearances, was the biggest surprise in the 26-man squad named by coach Carlo Ancelotti.
Ancelotti announced Neymar’s selection at a gala ceremony in Rio de Janeiro, with loud cheers ringing out as the veteran attacker’s call-up was confirmed.
Speculation has raged for months over whether the 34-year-old former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain attacker would force his way back into the national team set-up.
The forward, a veteran of the 2014, 2018, and 2022 World Cups, had not played for Brazil since suffering a knee injury during a World Cup qualifying game against Uruguay in 2023.
A mixture of injuries and poor form had left him outside the national team setup, with Ancelotti citing concerns over his fitness after leaving him out of Brazil’s squad for March friendlies against France and Croatia.
However, Neymar, who rejoined boyhood club Santos in January after an injury-ravaged stint in Saudi Arabia, has now earned Ancelotti’s stamp of approval for the World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
Brazil, who are chasing a record sixth World Cup crown, open their World Cup campaign against Morocco on June 13 before playing Haiti and Scotland in Group C.
Brazil World Cup Squad
Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool/ENG), Ederson (Fenerbahce/TUR), Weverton (Gremio/BRA)
Defenders
Alex Sandro (Flamengo/BRA), Danilo (Flamengo/BRA), Leo Pereira (Flamengo/BRA), Bremer (Juventus/ITA), Douglas Santos (Zenit St Petersburg/RUS), Gabriel Magalhães (Arsenal/ENG), Ibanez (Al-Ahli/KSA), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA), Wesley (Roma/ITA)
Midfielders
Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle/ENG), Casemiro (Manchester United/ENG), Danilo (Botafogo), Fabinho (Al-Ittihad/KSA), and Lucas Paqueta (Flamengo/BRA).
Forwards
Endrick (Lyon/FRA), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal/ENG), Igor Thiago (Brentford/ENG), Luiz Henrique (Zenit/RUS), Matheus Cunha (Manchester United/ENG), Neymar (Santos/BRA), Raphinha (Barcelona/ESP), Rayan (Bournemouth/ENG), Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid/ESP)
AFP
-
Health & Wellness9 months agoPresident Tinubu Directs Cut in Dialysis Cost from ₦50,000 to ₦12,000
-
News10 months agoPICTURE: In Lagos Couple Sentenced to 22½ Years for Cannabis Trafficking
-
Trending News9 months agoNELFUND Disburses ₦86bn To 449,000 Beneficiaries
-
Business2 months agoDangote Refinery Reduces Petrol Gantry Price To ₦1,200 Per Litre
-
International News2 months agoIndian Police Arrest Nigerian Over ₦290m Drug Haul
-
Business2 years agoHeritage Bank Customers’ Path to Securing ₦5m Insured Funds: A Step-By-Step Guide by NDIC”
-
Business2 months agoAfter Plea Bargain, Court Discharges Stella Oduah of ₦2.5bn Fraud
-
Business2 years ago
Dangote; We Did Not Fix ₦600/Litre Petrol Price
