News
MINISTERIAL SWEARING-IN: ‘We Have A Duty To Meet Expectations of Nigerians’,Tinubu Charges New Ministers

In a call to action, President Bola Tinubu has urged the recently appointed ministers to collaborate with him and each other to fulfill the aspirations of the Nigerian people through their work in government.
He gave the charge during the inauguration of the 45 confirmed ministers-designate on Monday held at the Conference Centre of the State House, Abuja.
“We are in this boat, even if it is a vehicle and I am the driver, the entire Nigerians are behind sitting and watching as you and I navigate this vehicle. We must hold each other responsible, we have to do the job to meet the expectations of all Nigerians.
“As I said earlier on, you are not a minister of a particular state, colony, region or ethnic nationality, you are a minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” President Tinubu said.
Also in his speech, the President reminded the newly-sworn Ministers that it is a high honour to be chosen to serve as a minister in the Federal Executive Council and also charged them with teamwork.
He added that the greatest number of Nigerians are expectant of their delivery, accountability and transparency and as well expect them to work with integrity, dignity and deliver.
“With the inauguration of Ministers today, we are about to accelerate our governing efforts to move forward in realizing our best aspiration for Nigeria. It’s all about a great team and I believe we have them here. It is a high honour to be chosen to serve as a minister in the federal executive council of our beloved republic.
“With such high honour comes tremendous responsibility in this moment of abundant promise and peril in equal measure. All of you who have been sworn in have been called to distinguish yourselves. It is me who knows you and delegates this authority but the greatest number of Nigerians are highly expectant of delivery, accountability and transparency.
“Nigerians expect that you will serve with integrity, dignity and deliver. I will hold you to that standard. Your assignment began immediately. As your country honours you today by this call to service, you must each work to make yourselves worthy in the eyes of God and all our nation’s people,” he said.
“With such high honour comes tremendous responsibility in this moment of abundant promise and peril in equal measure. All of you who have been sworn in have been called to distinguish yourselves. It is me who knows you and delegates this authority but the greatest number of Nigerians are highly expectant of delivery, accountability and transparency.
“Nigerians expect that you will serve with integrity, dignity and deliver. I will hold you to that standard. Your assignment began immediately. As your country honours you today by this call to service, you must each work to make yourselves worthy in the eyes of God and all our nation’s people,” he said.
The inauguration of the ministers comes less than a week after President Tinubu released the list of portfolios for the appointees, which was again reviewed on Sunday.
Those sworn in include former Rivers State governor Nyesom Wike as Minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Wale Edun (Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy), Adegboyega Oyetola (Marine and Blue Economy), David Umahi (Works), Festus Keyamo (Aviation and Aerospace Development), and Betta Edu (Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation).
Also among those sworn in are Bosun Tijani (Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy), Ishak Salaco (State, Environment and Ecological Management), Wale Edun (Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy), Adegboyega Oyetola (Marine and Blue Economy), Adedayo Adelabu (Minister of Power), Tunisia Alausa (State, Health and Social Welfare), Dele Alake (Solid Minerals Development), Lola Ade-John (Minister of Tourism), Sa’idu Alkali (Transportation), and Bunmi Tunji-Ojo (Interior).
News
Over 20 Dead As Killers Raid Homes In Plateau Community
Over 20 people have been reportedly killed in Binper community, Bwai District of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State following attacks on houses in the area.
The attack happened less than a week after three persons were killed, while Fulani and Mwaghavul communities accused each other of arson.
According to the National President of the Mwaghavul Development Association (MDA), Bulus Dabit, the attackers invaded the community around midnight while victims were asleep.
Report quoted an eyewitness, Daniel Musa, as saying that the heavily armed attackers moved from house to house, forcing their way in and attacking residents in their sleep.
He said: “Our village came under attack last night and in the early hours of today, Tuesday. Heavily armed persons were moving from house to house, opening the doors of people who were sleeping and slaughtering them.
“As of this morning, we have confirmed over 20 deaths, while several others sustained serious injuries and some people are still missing, “ he added.
Security officials had not commented on the incident as of the time of filing this report.
News
Sowore Slams NDLEA For Burning Cannabis Farms Says Policy Is Outdated
Human rights activist and the African Action Congress (AAC) presidential candidate for the 2027 general elections, Omoyele Sowore, has condemned the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) over its continued destruction of cannabis farms across Nigeria, describing the practice as economically wasteful and “idiotic.”
Sowore made the remarks in a post on X while criticising the agency for destroying cannabis plantations that he said could have significant economic value amid Nigeria’s worsening poverty and unemployment crisis.
“It is idiotic, [@ndlea_nigeria] wake up, put on uniforms, march into farms, and set economically viable crops worth millions of dollars ablaze while your country is drowning in multidimensional poverty,” Sowore wrote.
The AAC candidate accused the NDLEA of pursuing what he described as a “failed and outdated policy” instead of exploring the economic, medicinal and industrial potential of cannabis.“Stop destroying cannabis farms. Stop wasting enormous economic opportunities in the name of a failed and outdated policy,” he said.
Sowore further called for the legalisation and regulation of cannabis, arguing that the policy shift could create employment, generate government revenue and encourage investment in an emerging agricultural and industrial sector.
“Legalize and properly regulate cannabis. Invest in research, harness its legitimate medicinal and industrial potential, create jobs, generate revenue, and build an industry Nigerians can benefit from,” he said.
“You cannot burn your way out of poverty, foolish people!”
Sowore’s comments come amid continued NDLEA operations against cannabis cultivation across the country.
The Edo State Command of the NDLEA had destroyed two cannabis plantations with an estimated yield of 4,628.9 kilogrammes and arrested 10 suspected drug traffickers in separate operations across the state.
The state NDLEA Commander, Mitchell Ofoyeju, disclosed this in a statement on Monday, saying the operations were carried out following credible intelligence.
Ofoyeju said operatives destroyed the cannabis farms located at Ugboku, Igbanke Forest, in the Orhionmwon Local Government Area of the state, while separate raids were conducted at drug flashpoints in Oluku, Ovia North-East Local Government Area, and Abuja Quarters in Oredo Local Government Area of Benin City.
He said the operations were conducted in line with the operational order of the NDLEA Chairman/Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa, to dislodge illicit drug locations across the country.
News
Osun: Adeleke’s Supporters Move To Take Over LG Secretariats
Following the declaration of Governor Ademola Adeleke as winner of Saturday’s governorship election in Osun State, his supporters on Monday, trooped into the local government secretariats and motor parks in the state in the bid to take over the leadership.
Before the election, supporters of the APC candidate, Asiwaju Munirudeen Bola Oyebamiji (AMBO) had sacked Adeleke’s supporters from the motor parks and took control of the structures while Adeleke’s men were also ousted from the secretariats.
Adeleke’s supporters on Monday invaded the local government Secretariats to take over from officials elected on the platform of APC.
Recall that after losing the 2022 governorship election to Adeleke, former Governor Adegboyega Oyetola conducted local government election and swore in the new local government chairmen and councilors before he left the office.
After Adeleke’s swearing in in November 2022, he sent the local government chairmen and councilors away and appointed caretaker committees into the local government councils.
The matter became a subject of litigations with various courts giving contradictory rulings, leading to bloody clashes across the state in which several people were killed including the Chairman of Irewole Local Government, Ikire, Mr Remi Abass.
Adeleke conducted another local government election in February 2025 in which PDP swept the poll after APC boycott the election.
After their election, Adeleke swore in the new local government chairmen but restrained them from resuming work at the local government councils to prevent further clashes with the APC elected chairmen who were still occupying the local government councils.
Though the matter is still in court and both parties are awaiting court verdict to determine the legally recognized elected local government officials.
Adeleke said the APC elected officials had completed their terms but they insisted that their tenure was disrupted and prayed the court to determine their actual tenure.
The Federal High Court in Osogbo dismissed the case filed by APC elected officials on the tenure determination or extension but APC elected chairmen appealed the decision of the high court. The Appeal Court has not decided on the APC elected chairmen’s appeal.
The re-election of Adeleke for the second term on Saturday encouraged his supporters to invade the local government councils Secretariat to chase out APC elected chairmen and councilors for the PDP elected chairmen and councilors.
The Osun State Police Command warned that forceful takeover of local government could cause a breach of the peace and appealed to residents to be law-abiding.
The CP, Samuel Etaifo Erale, warned against forceful takeover and premises of local government secretariats in the state when the matter remains before the court.
He said, “The Police Command wishes to state clearly that no individual, political group, or association has the right to resort to self-help or the use of force to assume control of any local government area or public institution while judicial proceedings are ongoing.”
At the motor parks, the leadership is usually based on the faction of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) that supports the political party in control of the state.
Since Adeleke became the governor in 2022, the motor park leader loyal to him, Nuru Alowonle, was in control but the motor park leader loyal to the APC, Kazeem Oyewale and his team, invaded the motor parks a couple of weeks before the election and took over.
Alowonle succumbed because of heavy security presence in the state but eventually staged a comeback after the announcement of Adeleke as the winner of the Saturday governorship election.
-
Health & Wellness12 months agoPresident Tinubu Directs Cut in Dialysis Cost from ₦50,000 to ₦12,000
-
News1 year agoPICTURE: In Lagos Couple Sentenced to 22½ Years for Cannabis Trafficking
-
Trending News1 year agoNELFUND Disburses ₦86bn To 449,000 Beneficiaries
-
Business5 months agoDangote Refinery Reduces Petrol Gantry Price To ₦1,200 Per Litre
-
International News5 months agoIndian Police Arrest Nigerian Over ₦290m Drug Haul
-
Business2 years agoHeritage Bank Customers’ Path to Securing ₦5m Insured Funds: A Step-By-Step Guide by NDIC”
-
Business5 months agoAfter Plea Bargain, Court Discharges Stella Oduah of ₦2.5bn Fraud
-
Business2 years ago
Dangote; We Did Not Fix ₦600/Litre Petrol Price
