Connect with us

News

There are no factions in PTD branch of NUPENG–Tanker drivers

Published

on

Spread the love

 


Members of the petroleum tanker drivers( PTD) a branch of Nigerian Union of petroleum and Natural Gas workers ( NUPENG) have vowed to use all available legal means to avert attempt by some saboteurs whose intension is to cause confusion among stakeholders in the nigerian petroleum sector.

A concerned member of PTD, Ejigbo depot, who craved anonymity narrated how he witnessed how a group of people suspected to be loyal to a former national chairman of PTD – Mr Lucky Osesua and one comrade Ganiyu Oyebola ( a.k.a ten million) who is under suspension for anti union activities jointly led some thugs under the disguise of protesters to disrupt business activities at Ejigbo NNPC depot last Thursday.
NNPC Ejigbo is one of over 70 depots under the Lagos zonal council.
He revealed that the union leadership is aware of the evil scheme of traitors and enemies of the union to cause confusion and mislead the general public.
According to him, Mr Lucky Osesua was a formal national chairman of PTD. He said his tenure was voided by a court judgement which terminated the election that brought him in.
A fresh election held in Ibadan on 31st october 2023 brought in another PTD chairman in person of comrade Augustine Egbon.Mr lucky Osesua and his cohorts who were not favoured by the new election gathered themselves to conduct a kangaroo election and has since been parading themselves as PTD faction.
Also, another prominent member of the unit has condemned the attack on the members of care-taker committee appointed by the PTD branch of NUPENG Lagos Zone, to run the affairs of Ejigbo depot while carrying out their legitimate duties on thursday 7th of december 2023.He noted that the protesters ,in the first instance are not members of PTD branch of NUPENG , therefore, they have no moral justification to stage a protest and make frivolous allegations against the Zonal chairman, Comrade Saheed Omogbolahan Adigun, who was not even at the depot on the day of the said protest.
He urged the leadership of PTD and its mother union, NUPENG to, as a matter of urgency, report the matter to the appropriate authorities and security agencies to get rid of thugs hired and stationed at the depot by the rebellious group for the purpose of causing chaos in the Nigerian petroleum sector, thereby creating undue panic among the general public.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

I Am Not Afraid Of Sack- Super Falcons Coach

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Super Falcons head coach Justine Madugu says he is not afraid of losing his job despite mounting pressure following Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

 

Madugu’s future has come under intense scrutiny after the Super Falcons suffered a 2-1 defeat to South Africa in the decisive CAF play-off in Morocco.

The loss ended Nigeria’s remarkable record of qualifying for every edition of the FIFA Women’s World Cup since the tournament began in 1991.

For the first time since 1991, Nigeria will miss the Women’s World Cup.

The pressure on Madugu intensified after the Super Falcons failed to secure automatic World Cup qualification at the WAFCON.

With calls growing for the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to make changes to the technical setup, Madugu insists he is prepared to accept whatever decision the football authorities make.

The coach said representing Nigeria has been a privilege and that he has no fear of being relieved of his position.

“I am not afraid of being sacked. To the glory of God, I have served my country. It was a privilege that was given to me,” Madugu said.

He added, “So far, I have played almost 28 games, won 19, lost four and drawn four. But this defeat came at crucial moments that people did not expect.”

Continue Reading

News

Gumi Explains Why Funding Mass Marriages Is Government Responsibility

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, says it is the responsibility of the government to use public funds to support marriage arrangements in states operating under Shariah law.

In a post on his Facebook page on Thursday, Gumi argued that governments in Shariah-governed societies have a duty to address social needs arising from the prohibition of sexual relationships outside marriage.

The Islamic scholar noted that government intervention to assist people who cannot afford marriage should be viewed as part of responsible governance, especially where prostitution, fornication, adultery and promiscuity are prohibited by both religious principles and state laws.

According to him, public resources could legitimately be used to support young people in urgent need of marriage, as well as women who face limited opportunities to find suitable spouses.

“In a Shariah law-driven state, where prostitution, fornication, adultery, and promiscuity are prohibited by both divine and state laws, using public funds to facilitate the marriage of women who are in excess of the available pool of eligible men, or of any young person in dire need of marriage, is a legitimate and responsible component of good governance,” he wrote.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Says Democratic Regime Not Easy To Manage “Full Of Twists And Turns….”

Published

on

Spread the love

 

President Bola Tinubu decried the big task of successfully managing a democratic government, highlighting what he described as
It’s twists, turns, hills and valleys, even as the president assured Nigerians that the nation’s refineries will bounce back.

 

The President also lamented that the expected benefits from the introduction of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) are going into the pockets of truck owners.

This came as the President of the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), Comrade Salimon Akanni Oladiti, pleaded with President Tinubu to help stop the casualisation of workers in the oil industry.

Speaking when he received the NUPENG leadership at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, the President said the union has been a very good partner in government’s progress.

“You occupy a very critical nerve of the economy of this country,” he said.

He recalled the promise he made while seeking the presidency that he would remove the fuel subsidy and the threat by oil and gas workers to down tools. “We had threat of possible strike and something, and I served notice; you may strike all you want, but fuel subsidy will be gone. And today, to the benefit of our great country.”

“I will soon publish how it is being utilized,” he said, adding that workers at local, state and federal levels are reaping the benefits of subsidy removal through prompt payment of salaries, while landmark infrastructural projects are underway across the country.

“Yes, the economy is not child’s play. It’s a system of financial re-engineering and reset that you impress, and I want to thank you for the cooperation, collaboration and understanding.

“But I’m glad you have seen the effect of being able to find funding for long-term projects: Lagos–Ibadan Road, Abuja–Kaduna, Abuja–Kano, Sokoto–Badagry and other highways and road networks. It’s all for the good of our people and our economy.

“Equally, the introduction of compressed natural gas — well, I will appeal to you: we will do more and encourage you, but ask your drivers to let the benefits trickle down to commuters too, because whatever benefit is coming from CNG is going into the pockets of truck owners. It’s not spreading as fast as I would like, but it should spread.

“The refineries you mentioned are going to come back to work. We’re just building a very firm reset and structural reworking of the economics of it. Ordinary flame and smoke from a refinery doesn’t mean that it’s working until it’s profitable and yields the value for which it was built.

“I’m not a man who will look back and blame everyone, because I’ve accepted the assets and liabilities of my predecessors. No matter what happened in the past years, it’s my responsibility now as President to fix it and make it work for the greatest common good of our population. I take responsibility for that, and I’m going to do it.”

He added: “It’s not easy to manage a democratic regime, full of twists and turns, hills and valleys. But through perseverance, endurance and good determination we can bring about relief — like the joy of a newborn baby after a difficult pregnancy. Motherhood is painful, but the joy is everlasting. I promise you, you will enjoy a better Nigeria.”

Speaking earlier, NUPENG president Comrade Oladiti appealed to the President to check the casualisation of workers in the oil industry.

The NUPENG president, who described the trend as unwholesome, expressed concern that efforts to make oil companies, particularly in the upstream sector, stop the practice have been constantly rebuffed.

He said: “Your Excellency, our relationship with the international oil companies and indigenous players in the upstream sector has been very cordial. However, we want to seize this opportunity to bring to your attention an unhealthy trend we have been trying to correct with little to no success. It is the casualisation of workers, particularly in the upstream sector.

“For a sector that is strategic and taken as the economic jugular of the nation, NUPENG and its counterpart PENGASSAN have been tolerating these unwholesome practices, knowing full well the enormous disruption that any industrial action could cause to the economy.

“We also do not want to be seen as hostile to the Minister of Labour, Muhammad Maigari Dingyadi, who has been very supportive and operates an open-door policy in his relationship with our union.

“We have engaged the management of some of the affected companies without results. Mr. President, we urge you to use your good offices to stop the casualisation of workers in our sector.”

While commending the present administration for rehabilitation and dualisation of federal highways — which he noted will ease movement of petroleum trucks — Oladiti also appealed to President Tinubu to see to the resuscitation of the Nigerian Pipelines and Storage Company (NPSC) depots across the country.

He maintained that injecting life into the depots would complement the ongoing efforts to revive the ailing refineries.

He said: “We’ve seen real progress in the rehabilitation of federal highways, making journeys safer for our tanker drivers.

“We also want to commend your administration’s move to revive the Warri and Port Harcourt refineries through partnership with Chinese firms. Your Excellency, we humbly request that the same energy and drive to inject life back into the refineries be extended to the decaying Nigerian Pipelines and Storage Company depots across the country.

“We strongly recommend they be handed over to private investors to manage under an equity arrangement.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG