Connect with us

International News

India Recovers Data From Black Boxes After Deadly Air Crash

Published

on

Spread the love

Indian investigators have successfully retrieved data from the black boxes of a Boeing plane, after it crashed in one of the deadliest air disasters in decades, the government said Thursday.

 

 

 

All but one of the 242 people on board the Air India flight were killed on June 12 when the jet crashed in the western city of Ahmedabad, where at least 19 others were left dead.

Two weeks after the disaster, the civil aviation ministry said investigators have started “the data extraction process” from the plane’s cockpit voice and flight data recorders.

“The analysis… is underway. These efforts aim to reconstruct the sequence of events leading to the accident and identify contributing factors to enhance aviation safety and prevent future occurrences,” a ministry statement said.

The two black boxes were found within days of the crash, but were only flown to the Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau in New Delhi on Tuesday.

(FILES) Rescue officials work at the site where Air India flight 171 crashed in a residential area near the airport in Ahmedabad on June 12, 2025. (Photo by Sam PANTHAKY / AFP)

One of the victims’ relatives said they were waiting for answers.

“For now, all we know is the plane took off and then fell. How? Why? Nobody knows. And we want to know. We deserve to know,” said Imtiyaz Ali, whose brother was on the plane with his wife and two children.

“I refuse to believe that our aviation sector is this bad that we still don’t have even a slight indication about what went wrong,” he told AFP on Wednesday.

Air India said last week that the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner was “well-maintained” and that the pilots were accomplished flyers.

Investigators have recovered more than 100 mobile phones with the aim of retrieving any recordings that “may provide clues about the final moments of the flight”, Ahmedabad police commissioner GS Malik said last week.

The plane was being reconstructed at an undisclosed location “to detect any signs of mechanical failure, structural faults, or explosions”, he told journalists.

‘We are moving forward’

Forensic scientists have meanwhile been analysing hundreds of DNA samples in order to identify the victims.

(FILES) This screengrab from UGC video footage shows smoke rising from a residential area after Air India flight 171 crashed in Ahmedabad on June 12, 2025. (Photo by Vijay Patani / AFP)

Despite the jet bursting into a fireball when it smashed down moments after takeoff, a forensic dentist told AFP the team has been able to find matches through teeth.

“A protected molar tooth can withstand a temperature of over 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit,” or 980 degrees Celsius, Jayasankar P Pillai said.

The painstaking forensic process has enabled the majority of victims to be identified.

“So far 260 deaths have been confirmed through DNA and police identification,” Gujarat health minister Rushikesh Patel said.

One victim remains unidentified, a member of the forensic team told AFP on condition of anonymity as they were not authorised to speak to the media.

A police source told AFP two days after the disaster that 279 bodies had been recovered from the crash site.

The plane slammed into accommodation for medics, killing four doctors and injuring at least 24 as it hit the canteen.

Smit Patel, a medical intern, joined a gathering this week to open a makeshift kitchen.

“For us, reopening the mess is symbolic… despite everything, we are moving forward,” he said.

 

 

 

AFP

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International News

Enzo Maresca Gets 3Yr Deal To Replace Pep At Man City

Published

on

Spread the love

Enzo Maresca is believed to have signed a three-year deal to replace outgoing Man City manager Pep Guardiola, after it was revealed that the legendary head coach will be leaving the Etihad at the end of the season.

 

Speculation around Guardiola’s departure date has been rife as the season draws to a close, despite the Catalan having one year left on his contract.

According to report, Man City’s sponsors were among those to have been told that Guardiola will be calling time on a remarkable trophy-ladened spell on Sunday.

The report also shared that Maresca, Guardiola’s former assistant, was a front-runner for the vacant spot at the dugout, with Fabrizio Romano confirming on Tuesday morning that the ex-Chelsea manager will be taking over.

The Italian head coach has been out of work since his mutual departure from Stamford Bridge under strained circumstances on January 1.

But even before his acrimonious mid-season exit, Maresca has been viewed as a long-term successor to Guardiola following their stint working together at Man City.

The 46-year-old served as Guardiola’s assistant between 2022 and 2023 after previously coaching Man City’s youth sides, before departing to earn Championship promotion with Leicester.

Maresca then went on to win the Uefa Conference League and the Club World Cup with Chelsea during his 18-month spell in west London.

Guardiola is set to celebrate his time in English football with an open-top bus parade in Manchester after winning the Carabao Cup and FA Cup this season, but until Monday night, the manager had been notably vague over his future plans.

But before news broke of his shock exit, Guardiola had been keen to tamp down any suggestions that he would be commemorated with any fanfare.

‘The club don’t have to do anything, honestly,’ Guardiola, who has yet to officially confirm his departure, said. ‘The important thing in our lives is that when you look back, you can look with a big smile and say “that was good”.

‘Bernardo (Silva) and John (Stones) can feel that. We spoke about it over the last few days. When you’re old, a grandfather, you can look at the memories. That is the most important thing in life.’

Tired of addressing his contractual situation, Guardiola added with a dose of sarcasm: ‘Whatever happens at the end of the season – and when I extend my contract for three more years – I can look back and say, “how nice has that been?”

‘That is the most important thing by far. Most of the people who lived this time here together can feel it.’

Continue Reading

International News

Arteta: I Will Be The Biggest Ever Bournemouth Fan Against Man City Tonight

Published

on

Spread the love

Mikel Arteta says he will be the “biggest ever” Bournemouth fan when the Cherries take on Manchester City on Tuesday.

 

Arsenal moved a step closer to winning their first Premier League title since 2003-04 after a narrow 1-0 win over Burnley on Monday.

Kai Havertz’s first-half header was enough for Arteta’s side to secure all three points at Emirates Stadium, moving them five clear of City ahead of the final day.

City have a game in hand, which is their trip to the Vitality Stadium, where Pep Guardiola’s side must win if they are to stay alive in the title race.

Arteta revealed he will be watching City’s fixture against Bournemouth, though he will not be in contact with Cherries boss Andoni Iraola.

When asked if he will be a Bournemouth fan on Tuesday, Arteta said: “The biggest ever.

“For Andoni [Iraola] and all the players, and all the people who are supporters of Bournemouth, I think we all are. We know that means, they get our support.

“I don’t think he [Iraola] needs it [a message]. What he’s done in that football club, the transformation, and what they are playing for, I don’t think they need anything else.

“When you look at how Burnley played today, the spirit that they showed, how difficult they made it, so imagine [on Tuesday].”

Since losing 2-1 to City, Arsenal are the only side to win all of their matches (4/4) and also the only side not to concede a goal in the Premier League.

Arsenal have kept 32 clean sheets this season, six more than any other side in Europe’s top five leagues in all competitions.

On Arsenal’s defence, Arteta added: “I think the desire that every single player shows in their defensive duties, their behaviours, the way they work for each other is phenomenal.

“It’s a lot of work, put in by all the coaches as well, and we all know the importance of that and how many results and wins we have because of that.”

Continue Reading

International News

Neymar Included In Brazil’s 2026 World Cup Squad (FULL LIST)

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Brazil superstar Neymar was handed a dramatic recall to the country’s World Cup squad on Monday, returning to the national team after a near three-year absence.

 

The inclusion of Neymar, Brazil’s all-time leading goalscorer with 79 goals in 128 appearances, was the biggest surprise in the 26-man squad named by coach Carlo Ancelotti.

Ancelotti announced Neymar’s selection at a gala ceremony in Rio de Janeiro, with loud cheers ringing out as the veteran attacker’s call-up was confirmed.

Speculation has raged for months over whether the 34-year-old former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain attacker would force his way back into the national team set-up.

The forward, a veteran of the 2014, 2018, and 2022 World Cups, had not played for Brazil since suffering a knee injury during a World Cup qualifying game against Uruguay in 2023.

A mixture of injuries and poor form had left him outside the national team setup, with Ancelotti citing concerns over his fitness after leaving him out of Brazil’s squad for March friendlies against France and Croatia.

However, Neymar, who rejoined boyhood club Santos in January after an injury-ravaged stint in Saudi Arabia, has now earned Ancelotti’s stamp of approval for the World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Brazil, who are chasing a record sixth World Cup crown, open their World Cup campaign against Morocco on June 13 before playing Haiti and Scotland in Group C.

Brazil World Cup Squad

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool/ENG), Ederson (Fenerbahce/TUR), Weverton (Gremio/BRA)

Defenders

Alex Sandro (Flamengo/BRA), Danilo (Flamengo/BRA), Leo Pereira (Flamengo/BRA), Bremer (Juventus/ITA), Douglas Santos (Zenit St Petersburg/RUS), Gabriel Magalhães (Arsenal/ENG), Ibanez (Al-Ahli/KSA), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA), Wesley (Roma/ITA)

Midfielders

Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle/ENG), Casemiro (Manchester United/ENG), Danilo (Botafogo), Fabinho (Al-Ittihad/KSA), and Lucas Paqueta (Flamengo/BRA).

Forwards

Endrick (Lyon/FRA), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal/ENG), Igor Thiago (Brentford/ENG), Luiz Henrique (Zenit/RUS), Matheus Cunha (Manchester United/ENG), Neymar (Santos/BRA), Raphinha (Barcelona/ESP), Rayan (Bournemouth/ENG), Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid/ESP)

 

AFP

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG