Connect with us

International News

Killings in South Africa: FG Calls for Safety of Nigerians

Published

on

Spread the love
A fresh xenophobic violence in South Africa has claimed the lives of two Nigerians, triggering fear and panic within the diaspora community and prompting urgent diplomatic engagement by the Federal Government.

The development comes as Nigerians living in South Africa demanded protection by the Federal Government, saying that protecting Nigerians abroad is both a constitutional and moral obligation of the government.

The Nigerian Consulate General in Johannesburg confirmed that Amaramiro Emmanuel and Ekpenyong Andrew were killed in separate incidents linked to rising anti-foreigner tensions.

The Consul-General, Ninikanwa Okey-Uche, disclosed in a statement on Monday that Emmanuel died from injuries allegedly sustained after being beaten by personnel of the South African National Defence Force on April 20.

Andrew, she said, was apprehended on April 19 in the Booysens area of Pretoria following an alleged altercation with members of the Tshwane Metro Police, and his body was later discovered at the Pretoria Central Mortuary.

The consul-general said the separate cases, involving security personnel, have left the victims’ families, the Nigerian community, and diplomatic missions in shock.

A formal case has since been opened with the South African Police Service, while the Nigerian mission has urged the Independent Police Investigative Directorate to ensure a thorough, transparent, and impartial investigation.

“We call on South African authorities to thoroughly investigate the matter and bring the perpetrators to justice.

“No matter the allegations, there are lawful processes. Everyone should be presumed innocent and granted a fair hearing in a court of law. No one should take the law into their hands,” she said.

The Consul General added that the consulate was engaging relevant authorities and would provide necessary support to the families of the deceased, while warning against the growing trend of profiling Nigerians as criminals.

Okey-Uche also urged Nigerians in South Africa to remain calm and law-abiding as investigations continue.

The killings come amid escalating xenophobic hostility, with multiple viral videos showing threats, intimidation, and attempts by mobs to target foreign nationals.

In one such video, a Nigerian trader was confronted during an anti-immigrant protest and ordered to leave the country with his family.

“How come you are here in South Africa to continue selling goods?” one of the men asked.

Despite explaining his long stay and livelihood, the trader’s plea was dismissed.

“I didn’t come to South Africa today. I have been here for a long time. The only thing is what I’m doing to feed my children,” he said.

The group, however, insisted that foreigners were no longer welcome.

“From now on, we don’t want foreigners in this town. We are fixing our South Africa now,” one voice declared.

“Take your wife and go back to your country. Take your children and go and raise them at home,” a second voice said.

In another disturbing development, an Ethiopian national was shot dead in what appeared to be a targeted killing in downtown Johannesburg, further heightening concerns over the safety of foreign nationals.

CCTV footage circulating online showed the victim being approached and shot at close range at a busy intersection, with no immediate provocation or robbery, suggesting a deliberate attack.

Authorities confirmed that no arrests had been made and investigations were ongoing.

Amid the violence, the South African Police Service condemned acts of intimidation against foreigners.

“These actions are not only unlawful, but they stand in direct opposition to the values of dignity, equality, and human rights upon which our democracy is founded,” the police said.

Nigerians seek help

Reacting, the Nigerian Citizens Association in South Africa warned of increasing hostility, harassment, and alleged police brutality against Nigerians and other African nationals.

NICASA President, Frank Onyekwelu, described the situation as alarming and called for urgent intervention by Nigerian and African leaders.

“We are alarmed by the increasing normalisation of hostility, manifested through inflammatory rhetoric by certain political actors, unlawful intimidation, and discriminatory enforcement practices by some law enforcement personnel.

“These actions not only undermine human dignity, but also threaten the long-standing bonds of African solidarity.

“On behalf of the Nigerian community, I appeal to President Bola Tinubu, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Chairman/CEO of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Nigerian Senate and House of Representatives to act with urgency, firmness, and strategic diplomacy in tackling these developments,” he said.

Onyekwelu further called for stronger diplomatic engagement, accountability for erring officers, and the creation of mechanisms to document and address xenophobic abuses.

“Nigerians in South Africa are law-abiding, economically contributing, and socially integrated members of society. The reckless stereotyping and collective criminalisation of our people must stop.

“NICASA reiterates its commitment to peace, lawful conduct, and constructive engagement within our host nation. We urge compatriots to remain calm, vigilant, and compliant with the laws of South Africa, while we pursue diplomatic and institutional remedies,” he said.

Safety advisory

The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission also issued safety advisories, warning of escalating protests in parts of South Africa, including Durban, Cape Town, and KwaZulu-Natal, where incidents of looting, property damage, and violence have been reported.

“Nigerian nationals are also urged to remain law-abiding always,” the commission stated.

The agency advised Nigerians to avoid confrontations, monitor local developments, and, in some cases, temporarily shut down businesses to prevent losses.

Despite the tensions, Nigeria’s Acting Ambassador to South Africa, Alexander Ajayi, maintained that the situation was under control and not a coordinated siege against Nigerians.

“Let me first make the point that right now, Nigerians are not under siege in South Africa. The situation is currently under control. The governments are working on it.

“The two governments are working on it. Actually, the priority right now is to ensure the safety and well-being of every citizen, including foreigners,” he said.

He described the incidents as “isolated tension” and urged caution, noting that authorities had taken steps to contain unrest in affected areas.

Ramaphosa cautions

On his part, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa urged foreign nationals to respect the country’s laws and traditions while reaffirming his commitment to international law and human rights.

In a video during his address on Monday, on the occasion of Freedom Day, he said, “To those who are here legally, respect us as South Africans, respect our laws, respect our conventions and our traditions, as you would want us to respect the laws and traditions of your own country,” he said.

FG engages S’Africa

The Federal Government of Nigeria has formally called on South Africa to ensure the protection of the lives and property of Nigerians and other foreign nationals.

The call was contained in a statement issued on Monday in Abuja by the spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa.

“Nigeria recalls the recent attacks on foreign nationals in some major cities in South Africa.

“As brotherly countries, Nigeria wishes to use the occasion of the anniversary of Freedom Day to call on the Government of South Africa to protect the lives and property of foreigners from fellow African countries currently residing in their country.

“Nigeria remains confident that the enduring partnership between both nations will continue to contribute to peace, stability, and sustainable development across the African continent.

“The government and people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria extend their best wishes to the government and people of South Africa for continued unity, progress, and prosperity,” the statement read.

It noted that Nigeria and South Africa share deep historical ties rooted in the anti-apartheid struggle and have since built a strong bilateral relationship spanning trade, defence, education, and cultural exchange, as well as cooperation within the African Union and United Nations.

It also highlighted ongoing collaboration through frameworks such as the Bi-National Commission, while stressing the importance of continental unity and collective progress.

Congratulating South Africa on its Freedom Day, Nigeria said the occasion marked the historic 1994 democratic elections that ended apartheid and ushered in majority rule.

The statement added that the 2026 celebration reflected 32 years of democratic governance and the country’s commitment to constitutionalism, rule of law, equality, and human dignity.

“On this auspicious occasion, Nigeria reaffirms its commitment to further strengthening bilateral relations with South Africa and deepening cooperation across strategic sectors for the mutual benefit of both countries,” the statement stated.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International News

Barcelona Seals New Deal With Head Coach Flick

Published

on

Spread the love

Barcelona completes contract renewal with head coach Hansi Flick, per official announcement.

 

According to Fabrizio Romano, Flick’s new contract with Barcelona runs until June 2028, with an option to extend until June 2029, meaning the coach could stay for three more seasons.

In his first season in charge, Flick led the team to a domestic treble of La Liga, Copa del Rey and Spanish Super Cup.

This season, Barcelona won the Spanish Super Cup again and retained the La Liga title, bringing his total to five trophies in two seasons.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Erling Haaland Makes Acting Debut In Animated Film 

Published

on

Spread the love

Erling Haaland will follow in the footsteps of David Beckham and Vinnie Jones by taking his first steps into the acting world, with the Norwegian striker set to make his film debut.

 

The Manchester City striker will voice a character described as ‘an animated version of himself’, in the upcoming animated film Viqueens.

This is according to the Hollywood Reporter, who say that the 25-year-old is playing a Viking called Haaland in the motion picture.

The adventure-comedy is directed and co-written by the award-winning Harald Zwart, the Norwegian director known for The Karate Kid and Agent Cody Banks.

‘As a Norwegian storyteller making a Viking adventure for a global audience, having Erling Haaland join feels incredibly exciting,’ said Zwart.

‘Erling has already become a kind of real-life Viking icon around the world – powerful, fearless and uniquely Norwegian.

‘Bringing him into this universe as himself gives the film an unexpected energy and authenticity that felt completely right for this story.’

Solveig Langeland, managing director of Sola Media, added: ‘Erling Haaland transcends sports – he’s a global cultural figure.

‘His involvement brings another exciting dimension to a film that already combines international adventure, humour, and emotional storytelling in a way we believe will resonate with audiences everywhere.’

He follows the likes of Beckham and Jones, who have already hit the cinema screens around the country.

Beckham made his silver screen debut in his pal Guy Ritchie’s King Arthur back in 2017 alongside film stars Charlie Hunnam and Eric Bana, playing hardened battleguard Trigger in the flick.

Meanwhile, Jones is known for portraying gangsters on screen, and as recently as 2024 played gamekeeper Geoff in Ritchie’s series The Gentlemen, featuring Theo James.

He famously also played Coach Dinklage in She’s the Man, and was The Juggernaut in X-Men: The Last Stand.

Haaland may need a while before he becomes the big actor that Jones has become, though, with plenty of years on the pitch still ahead of him.

The striker’s focus will currently be on winning the Premier League with Manchester City, as they look to hunt down Arsenal, who are two points ahead at the top, with two games to go.

Haaland will next be in action on Tuesday night as they travel to Bournemouth.

Continue Reading

International News

Iran squad travel to Turkey for friendlies, US visas

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Iran’s national football team was headed to Turkey on Monday to play a final friendly match and apply for visas to fly to the United States for the 2026 World Cup, Iranian media reported.

 

The team plan to participate in the tournament despite co-host Washington having launched a war against Iran with a massive wave of attacks alongside ally Israel on February 28.

The fighting has been on hold for weeks thanks to a ceasefire, but peace talks have failed to make a breakthrough and new drone attacks against Gulf countries at the weekend combined with threats from US President Donald Trump raising fears of a return to fighting.

The team “departed this morning for Antalya, Turkey to play its final friendly match before flying to the United States for the 2026 World Cup,” the Tasnim news agency reported.

It said the squad consisted of 22 domestic-based players alongside their coaching staff.

On Saturday, head coach Amir Ghalenoei said they would also be completing visa applications for the US while in Turkey.

– ‘Let ’em play’ –

Iran secured their spot at the World Cup in March 2025, but since then the United States has twice launched attacks on the country.

US officials have insisted that Iran is welcome at the tournament, while organiser FIFA has said it will go ahead as planned and rejected Iranian suggestions that their games be moved to co-hosts Mexico or Canada.

“I think let ’em play,” Trump said in late April.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said any problem would not be with Iranian players but “some of the other people (they) would want to bring with them”, suggesting they may have ties to the Revolutionary Guards, which Washington has branded a terrorist organisation.

Last month, officials from Iran’s football federation abandoned a trip to the FIFA congress in Canada, saying they had been “insulted” by Canadian immigration officers.

One of their delegation, Mehdi Taj, is a former member of the Revolutionary Guards, which Canada has also designated a terror group.

The Iranian football team hope to play two friendlies in Antalya.

They have already confirmed one match, against The Gambia, on May 29, said Sam Mehdizadeh, an Iranian-Canadian who heads a company that sets up friendlies for the team.

“No visas have been issued yet,” Taj, the head of Iran’s football federation, told Iranian media on Thursday.

On Saturday, FIFA secretary general Mattias Grafstrom held a meeting in Turkey with the federation, describing it as constructive, as did Taj.

When the squad reaches the United States, Iran will set up their base camp in Tucson, Arizona.

The team, who are in Group G, are due to kick off their campaign against New Zealand in Los Angeles on 15 June, before facing Belgium in the same city and then Egypt in Seattle.

 

 

AFP

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG