Connect with us

News

Pastor Killed as Bandits Raid Ekiti Community During Church Service

Published

on

Spread the love

Gunmen suspected to be bandits have invaded a church in Eda Oniyo, the headquarters of Ilejemeje Local Government Area in Ekiti State, killing a pastor while an unconfirmed number of residents were feared abducted.

 

It was gathered that ‎ the incident occurred during a revival session on Tuesday evening at a Christ Apostolic Church (CAC), where worshippers had gathered for the special programme.

According to eyewitnesses, the gunmen stormed the church at about 6:45 p.m and opened fire on the congregation, killing the revivalist, who was simply identified as one Pastor Aregbe, while several others were injured.

When contacted, the Chairman of the Ilejemeje Local Government, Pius Alaba, said several people were still missing, adding that the exact number of those abducted could not yet be ascertained.

According to him, information from the pastor in charge of the church indicated that while some worshippers escaped into the surrounding bush, others were shot during the attack.

Alaba also confirmed that the corpse of the slain pastor had been deposited at the morgue.

‎ As of the time of filing this report, security agencies had yet to release an official statement on the attack.

Gunmen had in November 2025 attacked the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke Isegun, in Eruku, Kwara State, during an invasion of the community, leaving at least two people dead and at least 30 worshippers kidnapped.

The incident also occurred on a Tuesday evening.

Consequently, the Kwara State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, condemned the attack and called for urgent reinforcement of security in the area.

The bandits also demanded ₦100 million as ransom for each of the abductees, before the release of the worshippers was announced by the state government.

News

Alimosho Mayhem: AMA Writes Open Letter To APC Chief, Bisi Yusuf 

Published

on

Spread the love

 

An Open Letter to Hon. Bisi Yusuf 

 

From: Hon. Ajoke Moromoke Aminat Obe (AMA) 

 

Date: May 19, 2026

 

Dear Hon. Bisi Yusuf,

 

*PEACE MUST RETURN TO ALIMOSHO*

 

You and I go a long way.

 

During the battle for Agbado Oke-Odo, when Hon. Famuyiwa tried to rob us in the legislative arm of the council, you stood by us. You were a dependable leader and gave us strength in the House. When there was a kangaroo election and we protested, you spoke for us. For that, you have my respect.

I was also one of the people who came to you and asked you to step up and join Her Excellency Adejoke Orelope-Adefulure during the battle for supremacy in Alimosho. You told us categorically that you were no longer interested in politics. I told you then that you couldn’t step back, because peace must return to Alimosho by all means. We had meetings with 5 other leaders after that. The rest is history.

Today you head a faction called TMM. That’s what I need to talk to you about, especially in view of what played out yesterday.

I was an eyewitness, and I almost died or got fatally wounded. But for a guy who kept shouting at me, _”Ama, Ẹ lọ duro si ẹgbẹ ogiri. Ama, go and stand by the wall,”_ I don’t know where I’d be.

In front of me lay an old man flat on his face. I kept picking him up and he kept falling, until that guy came and pulled both of us up.

How did it go all wrong? What happened? Where did the gunshot come from? These questions have been going round and round in my head.

The election was just starting when I got in. I came through the back and saw members from Agbado Oke-Odo. As usual we threw banter at each other, and someone gave up a chair for me and I sat with them. This is what we do in Alimosho. We laugh, we tease each other, we make noise. We don’t shoot people, we don’t kill people, we don’t threaten people, we don’t insult leaders, even when we’re not in the same group. We are not enemies.

Shortly after I sat down, Olo, the Vice Chairman of Ayobo/Ipaja LCDA, called and asked where I was. When I told him, he said I should come to the front because he had a chair reserved for me. When he didn’t see me, he sent his PA to come and find me. I then went and sat beside him. The hall was still calm. I danced and laughed to my seat, and people were calling me left and right.

Then Gbọsa! I heard the noise, but I didn’t know where it came from. One of Olo’s aides pushed me from my chair and asked that we leave immediately. By the time I looked back, people were already rushing to the back entrance. I stood frozen for a moment, then the chairs started flying everywhere. Windows were smashed, terror in broad daylight!

It wasn’t just random attendees caught up in this. Hon. Yemi Ajigbotafe, a serving Commissioner, was also attacked. His security detail was wounded, his car windows smashed. When people in positions like that are not safe at a political gathering in Alimosho, then none of us are safe.

Hon. Bisi, Alimosho has been through enough. We have fought together before to keep peace and fairness in this LGA. I am asking you, as someone who has led here and who people still listen to, to use your voice now to call for calm, for restraint, and for a full investigation into what happened yesterday. At this point I will not point accusing fingers at anyone but if I have to I will do so without fear. You know my history.

We cannot allow violence to become the language of politics in Alimosho. The people who were there are not enemies. We are brothers and sisters with history. If we don’t stop this now, there will be no political structure left to lead.

I am willing to give my account to the police and to any panel that is set up. I ask that you do the same, and that you help ensure that whoever fired that shot is identified and that the law takes its course without fear or favor.

Peace must return to Alimosho by all means. That’s why I came to you years ago, and that’s why I’m writing to you now.

 

Respectfully,

Hon. Ajoke Moromoke Aminat Obe (AMA)

**The incident in question happened in Alimosho on Monday at Senator Idiat Adebule primaries at about 2pm in the council

Continue Reading

International News

Enzo Maresca Gets 3Yr Deal To Replace Pep At Man City

Published

on

Spread the love

Enzo Maresca is believed to have signed a three-year deal to replace outgoing Man City manager Pep Guardiola, after it was revealed that the legendary head coach will be leaving the Etihad at the end of the season.

 

Speculation around Guardiola’s departure date has been rife as the season draws to a close, despite the Catalan having one year left on his contract.

According to report, Man City’s sponsors were among those to have been told that Guardiola will be calling time on a remarkable trophy-ladened spell on Sunday.

The report also shared that Maresca, Guardiola’s former assistant, was a front-runner for the vacant spot at the dugout, with Fabrizio Romano confirming on Tuesday morning that the ex-Chelsea manager will be taking over.

The Italian head coach has been out of work since his mutual departure from Stamford Bridge under strained circumstances on January 1.

But even before his acrimonious mid-season exit, Maresca has been viewed as a long-term successor to Guardiola following their stint working together at Man City.

The 46-year-old served as Guardiola’s assistant between 2022 and 2023 after previously coaching Man City’s youth sides, before departing to earn Championship promotion with Leicester.

Maresca then went on to win the Uefa Conference League and the Club World Cup with Chelsea during his 18-month spell in west London.

Guardiola is set to celebrate his time in English football with an open-top bus parade in Manchester after winning the Carabao Cup and FA Cup this season, but until Monday night, the manager had been notably vague over his future plans.

But before news broke of his shock exit, Guardiola had been keen to tamp down any suggestions that he would be commemorated with any fanfare.

‘The club don’t have to do anything, honestly,’ Guardiola, who has yet to officially confirm his departure, said. ‘The important thing in our lives is that when you look back, you can look with a big smile and say “that was good”.

‘Bernardo (Silva) and John (Stones) can feel that. We spoke about it over the last few days. When you’re old, a grandfather, you can look at the memories. That is the most important thing in life.’

Tired of addressing his contractual situation, Guardiola added with a dose of sarcasm: ‘Whatever happens at the end of the season – and when I extend my contract for three more years – I can look back and say, “how nice has that been?”

‘That is the most important thing by far. Most of the people who lived this time here together can feel it.’

Continue Reading

International News

Arteta: I Will Be The Biggest Ever Bournemouth Fan Against Man City Tonight

Published

on

Spread the love

Mikel Arteta says he will be the “biggest ever” Bournemouth fan when the Cherries take on Manchester City on Tuesday.

 

Arsenal moved a step closer to winning their first Premier League title since 2003-04 after a narrow 1-0 win over Burnley on Monday.

Kai Havertz’s first-half header was enough for Arteta’s side to secure all three points at Emirates Stadium, moving them five clear of City ahead of the final day.

City have a game in hand, which is their trip to the Vitality Stadium, where Pep Guardiola’s side must win if they are to stay alive in the title race.

Arteta revealed he will be watching City’s fixture against Bournemouth, though he will not be in contact with Cherries boss Andoni Iraola.

When asked if he will be a Bournemouth fan on Tuesday, Arteta said: “The biggest ever.

“For Andoni [Iraola] and all the players, and all the people who are supporters of Bournemouth, I think we all are. We know that means, they get our support.

“I don’t think he [Iraola] needs it [a message]. What he’s done in that football club, the transformation, and what they are playing for, I don’t think they need anything else.

“When you look at how Burnley played today, the spirit that they showed, how difficult they made it, so imagine [on Tuesday].”

Since losing 2-1 to City, Arsenal are the only side to win all of their matches (4/4) and also the only side not to concede a goal in the Premier League.

Arsenal have kept 32 clean sheets this season, six more than any other side in Europe’s top five leagues in all competitions.

On Arsenal’s defence, Arteta added: “I think the desire that every single player shows in their defensive duties, their behaviours, the way they work for each other is phenomenal.

“It’s a lot of work, put in by all the coaches as well, and we all know the importance of that and how many results and wins we have because of that.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG