Connect with us

News

Reps Speaker Tasked As Uncertainty Hangs Over APC Rivers Guber Candidate

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbass, has been asked to produce records of proceedings in the Green Chamber to show that a letter announcing Kingsley Chinda’s defection to the All Progressives Congress, APC, and resignation as Minority Leader, was read on the floor of the House. 

 

The request was made by the Incorporated Trustees of the Association of Legislative Drafting and Advocacy Practitioners, who recently filed a lawsuit asking an Abuja Federal High Court to stop the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, from recognising Chinda as a governorship candidate of the APC.

Chinda, an ally of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, minister, Nyesom Wike, emerged the governorship candidate of the APC in the May 21, 2026, primary election, following the last-minute withdrawal of other contestants – incumbent Governor Siminalayi Fubara, Tonye Cole and Alabo Dakorinama George-Kelly.

However, the Incorporated Trustees of the Association of Legislative Drafting and Advocacy Practitioners, whose members include indigenes of Chinda’s Obio/Akpor Federal Constituency of Rivers State, approached an Abuja Federal High Court seeking to stop him from taking part in the 2027 poll.

The plaintiff argued that the lawmaker’s defection was inconsistent with the provisions of Section 68 (1) (g) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, and pronouncements of the Supreme Court of Nigeria on the defection of legislators.

To back up the claim that Chinda’s defection did not follow due process, the plaintiff has requested the Speaker of the House of Representatives to produce evidence that a letter notifying the House of the development was read on the floor during plenary.

The request was made via a letter, dated May 26, 2027, signed by Jesse Williams Amuga, Esq., Administrative Secretary,

Association of Legislative Drafting and Advocacy Practitioners.

The letter read: “Request brought pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, 2011: Request for the Hansard and Votes of Proceedings and Order Paper of each day of plenary sessions of the House of Representatives, National Assembly, during the month of March and April, 2026, or any other date to ascertain whether the records can confirm the date on which the Rt. Hon. Speaker or any other presiding officer of the House of Representatives read the official letter of resignation of Hon. Kingsley Ogundu Chinda to confirm cessation of his membership of the PDP and also to confirm his resignation as the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, National Assembly.

“We write on behalf of some of the 500,000 registered constituents of Obio/Akpor Federal Constituency, currently represented by Hon. Kingsley Ogundu Chinda.

“We write to request a formal letter of response to the above-named subject-matter.

“This letter that we are requesting is a condition precedent under Section 68 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 which we seek to tender as Exhibit in a lawsuit.

“We, as lawyers representing the constituents, previously wrote a letter expressing the intentions of the said constituents. A copy of the said letter dated October 2025, to the said legislator, is enclosed/attached.”

The letter was copied to the Deputy Speaker, as well as the Clerk of the House of Representatives.

Following the lawsuit filed against Chinda’s candidacy in the 2027 election, a group, the Centre for Constitutional Governance and Electoral Integrity, CCGEI, had, in a statement, declared that the Rivers lawmaker had already resigned as Minority Leader of the House of Representatives before participating in the APC governorship process and had not taken part in any PDP-related activities since then.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Lagos Govt Bans Permanent Use Of Dealer Number Plates

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The Lagos State Government has reiterated its prohibition on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.

 

The Director, Public Affairs, Ministry of Transportation, Mrs Bolanle Ogunlola, said this in a statement on Sunday in Lagos.

Ogunlola warned motorists and vehicle dealers against using dealer number plates for purposes outside those permitted by law.

She said the Lagos State Transport Sector Reform Law, 2018, restricted dealer plates to specific, time-limited activities.

According to her, permitted uses include authorised test drives, vehicle inspections, vehicle delivery or collection, and movement of unregistered vehicles.

She said such movement must be directly from ports or authorised dealer premises to designated locations.

“Their use for private daily commuting, continuous operation on public roads, or on vehicles already sold is prohibited,” Ogunlola said.

She noted that the Vehicle Inspection Service (VIS) had apprehended 175 vehicles for violating regulations governing dealer number plates.

Ogunlola said the dealer plates recovered from the affected vehicles would be confiscated, while the vehicles would undergo further investigation.

She warned that vehicles operating with unauthorised, fake, obscured or improperly used registration numbers would face enforcement action.

According to her, sanctions include impoundment and prosecution under relevant traffic laws.

Continue Reading

News

Over 4,000 Abandoned Mine Pits In Plateau – Alake

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dele Alake, has said that more than 4,000 abandoned mine pits exist across Plateau State.

 

Alake said the pits, many of which were dug by former mining companies, posed environmental and safety challenges but could be converted into productive ventures through proper rehabilitation.

He stated this in a statement issued on Sunday by his Special Assistant on Media, Lara Owoeye-Wise, following the death of seven people in a collapsed mine pit at Kassa, Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of the state.

The minister described the incident as tragic and avoidable, warning artisanal miners against entering abandoned pits without the required licences and permits.

He urged miners to organise themselves into cooperatives and obtain necessary approvals to operate legally.

Alake said the large number of abandoned pits in Plateau was a legacy of the activities of the former Amalgamated Tin Mines Limited and its successor companies, Consolidated Tin Mines Limited and Nigerian Tin and Allied Products Limited.

He said the Federal Government had rehabilitated 59 abandoned mine pits, while introducing technology-driven measures to identify and assess thousands of others.

According to him, the ministry has entered into a public-private partnership to deploy Geographic Information System satellite mapping and Artificial Intelligence to locate and characterise the abandoned pits.

He said Plateau would be the pilot beneficiary of the initiative, which would also develop plans for the eventual reclamation of the sites.

Alake urged private investors to partner with the government to convert abandoned mine sites into productive ventures, including energy, tourism and fisheries projects.

He described public-private partnership as the “most proactive and fastest approach” to turning the abandoned pits into productive assets.

“The challenge before the state and the Federal Government is how to turn these potential pits of death into centres of joyful prosperity,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu: No Leader Has Impacted Nigeria like Babangida

Published

on

Spread the love

 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has congratulated elder statesman and former military President, General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida (rtd), on his 85th birthday, saying the ex Military leader has impacted Nigeria in ways no other leader has done.

 

President Tinubu disclosed this in a statement by Bayo Onanuga, his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy.

He also described General Babangida as an outstanding leader whose remarkable military career culminated in his leadership of the nation following the 1985 coup.

The President said “Like him or not, former President Babangida impacted Nigeria in ways no other leader has. His eight-year reign left enduring marks on our political, economic, and geographic landscape.

“He expanded the nation’s economy, established lasting infrastructure, and created several agencies and institutions that continue to serve the national interest. But for his foresight, wisdom, and sense of equity and fairness, many states in the federation might not exist today.”

The President noted that General Babangida’s name and legacy would remain indelible in Nigeria’s history because of his many contributions to national development.

“Even in retirement, living a quiet life at his Minna Hilltop residence in Niger State, General Babangida continues to offer valuable counsel and guidance to the nation. His advice and wise counsel remain an inspiration to younger generations”, the President said.

” I wish you continued grace, good health, and renewed strength. May Almighty Allah keep you with us for many more years to come,” the President added.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG