Connect with us

Sports

Man Utd Close On Deal For Brighton’s

Published

on

Spread the love

 

United attempted to sign Cameroon international, Baleba near deadline day last summer but were put off by Brighton’s valuation, which was in excess of £100m.

 

However, the price has reduced significantly and after failing in their pursuit of Matheus Fernandes earlier this summer, United have decided to revisit Baleba.

Their initial £60m offer is below Brighton’s valuation, but talks are continuing.

The Red Devils have already signed midfielders Andrey Santos from Chelsea for £48m and Youri Tielemans, who joined from Aston Villa in July for £35m.

Mason Mount did excel alongside Santos in the first three games of pre-season, but he has been struggling to overcome a foot problem he suffered against Paris St-Germain in Gothenburg on 8 August.

Baleba is expected to be out for another two to three weeks after suffering an ankle injury during a pre-season training camp in Austria.

Fabian Hurzeler’s Brighton squad fly to Norway on Wednesday for Thursday’s Uefa Conference League play-off first-leg match with Tromso.

Baleba made 35 appearances for Brighton last season, picking up seven yellow cards as a defensive midfielder.

Man Utd need the 24-25 version of Baleba
On one side, it makes perfect sense. They tried to sign Baleba 12 months ago, so are fully aware of his abilities.

He is the kind of box-to-box player United do not have in their midfield despite the arrivals of Santos and Tielemans.

Baleba wants to make the move and the fee, whatever it ends up as, will be much less than the £100m they were quoted previously.

However, the reason the fee has gone down is the underwhelming form he showed for Brighton last season.

Thirty-one starts and three substitute appearances in the Premier League in 2024-25 became 23 starts and eight substitute appearances in 2025-26, highlighting a dip in form and value to Fabian Hurzeler in a campaign when Brighton secured European football for only the second time in their history.

There was a belief Baleba’s head had been turned by United’s interest, but Brighton sources last season said they didn’t think that was right.

With the transfer deadline approaching, Old Trafford chiefs have made their move.

Carrick must hope he gets the 2024-25 version.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sport

Mourinho: Why R- Madrid Walked Away From Rodri

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho has opened up on the club’s failed attempt to sign Rodri, revealing that the Spain international’s doubts about moving to the Santiago Bernabéu eventually created uncertainty within the Madrid camp.

 

Rodri, regarded as one of the finest midfielders of his generation, had emerged as a major target for Real Madrid after an outstanding spell at Manchester City.

However, despite reportedly holding advanced discussions with the Spanish giants, the 30-year-old ultimately opted to join Real Madrid’s biggest domestic rivals, Barcelona.

Mourinho was particularly direct when asked why Real Madrid’s pursuit of Rodri ultimately collapsed.

The Portuguese manager believes that representing Real Madrid requires an immediate commitment from a player, arguing that anyone who receives an offer from the club should already know their answer.

“Real Madrid cannot have players who think twice,” Mourinho said.

He explained the mentality he believes a player should have when allowed to join the Spanish giants.

He added, “You get the call and say: ‘When do you want me there?’”

Mourinho stressed that Real Madrid’s stature creates a different set of expectations for potential signings.

“Rodri is an extraordinary player, but Real Madrid is a different dimension,” he explained.

Mourinho also revealed that he had personally spoken with Rodri on several occasions during the process.

He added, “I personally spoke to Rodri a couple of times. Real Madrid made him an important proposal. But then… Rodri had doubts. His doubts created doubts in me about signing him.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Musiala Explains Reason He Fainted Twice On The Pitch

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Bayern Munich midfielder Jamaal Musiala released a statement after a second fainting episode in days, hinting that he has been diagnosed with a neurological dysfunction.

 

​The 23-year-old released an extensive statement on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, just hours after collapsing on the pitch for the second time in less than a week.

​The footballing world held its collective breath when Musiala required urgent medical attention during Bayern’s clash against Leipzig on Saturday, August 15, 2026. At the time, early reports prematurely dismissed the incident as severe heat stroke or a sudden circulation issue.

​However, the severity of the situation became undeniably clear on Tuesday during a pre-season club friendly against Heidenheim at the Voith-Arena.

Mid-game, Musiala suffered another collapse. As the disoriented forward went down, teammates Jonathan Tah and Harry Kane immediately rushed to his aid, forming a protective ring to shield him from cameras while medical personnel provided treatment.

​Bayern ultimately won the exhibition match 4-2, but the result was entirely overshadowed by deep concern for their prized number 10.

Musiala explains what happened
​Seeking to regain control of the narrative and reassure an anxious fanbase, Musiala took to Instagram to provide transparency about his terrifying ordeal.

​”First things first—I’m doing well! Above all, I’m incredibly grateful for all your messages and your support! I understand that many of you are worried,” he said.

“I want to put those concerns to rest today and explain a little more: I have been diagnosed with brief, temporary episodes of absence that are easily treatable and are caused by a neurological dysfunction.”

​He acknowledged the frightening nature of the recent incidents but emphasised that they are currently just a manageable part of his life, assuring fans that he is in excellent medical hands.

​”These can lead to the moments that have occurred recently, such as against Leipzig and now in Heidenheim. I know that they may seem scary at first glance—but for me, they are currently simply part of my everyday life.

“I am receiving the best possible medical care in this regard, and I am very optimistic. FC Bayern and the people closest to me are always by my side and supporting me on this journey.”

​Crucially, Musiala made it clear that these absence episodes do not pose an existential threat to his career or his overall well-being.

With the full backing of neurological specialists and the Bayern Munich hierarchy, the forward has taken the brave, calculated decision to continue his professional career without an extended hiatus.

​”What is important is that there is no additional health risk beyond this,” he explained. “In close consultation and regular communication with the specialists, it was my personal wish to face this challenge and, with the approval of the neurological specialists, to continue doing what helps me most in my recovery: simply living my everyday life and continuing to pursue my passion of playing football. I have taken responsibility for that decision.”

​As the Bavarian giants finalise preparations for the Franz Beckenbauer Supercup against Borussia Dortmund on Saturday, August 22, followed by their 2026/27 Bundesliga opener against VfB Stuttgart on August 28, Musiala remains focused on returning to the pitch.

​”Overall, I have a very good feeling, and I am on a good path,” he concluded. “What helps me most along the way is continuing to chase victories and titles with my team, with your incredible support.

“I hope this helps you understand me better. At the same time, I ask for your understanding that I would like to continue keeping this matter within the circle of my closest confidants, the club and the experts. Thank you very much.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Premier League To Publish Verdicts On Referee And VAR Decisions

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The full judgements made by the Key Match Incidents Panel on referee and video assistant referee decisions will be shared with fans for the first time this season.

 

It is one of three measures brought in by the Premier League, external to improve transparency, alongside the publishing of direct explanations of officials, and broadcasting RefCam with audio of a referee talking to players.

The five members of the KMI Panel have met since the 2022-23 season, but until now the full judgements have been kept private – though there was a tendency for clubs to leak the information.

Every major incident is assessed and voted on, with feedback provided to clubs and officials.

The Premier League believes releasing the document will give full transparency about the evaluation of decisions.

Selected direct quotes of the referee and/or the video assistant referee will be published on the Premier League’s Match Centre account on X, on the Premier League website and the Premier League app to try to provide the rationale behind a decision.

Previously, the account published a general summary of an incident rather than the real-time explanations and thought processes of officials.

This will include a referee’s description of why they have given a decision, or the VAR’s direct reasoning for why they have not intervened.

The expansion of the use of RefCam will for the first time allow the broadcast of audio between the referee and the players.

This will not be live, nor will it include any of the conversation between the referee and the VAR, but it will be used in-game one or two times in each round of fixtures.

The Premier League and Pro Ref are trying to take steps to increase the transparency over decisions while still being limited by the International Football Association Board’s (Ifab) refusal to permit the live broadcast of VAR discussions.

The Premier League is to continue discussions with Ifab about allowing more VAR communication to be shared with the public.

How the KMI Panel works
The KMI Panel meets every week to dissect each decision, from goals to penalties to red cards.

It has five members: three former players and coaches, plus one representative each from the Premier League and referees’ body Pro Ref.

The KMI Panel was created by the Premier League clubs in 2022 to take performance stats out of the hands of the refereeing body.

It is not intended to look at each incident like any fan or manager would. It takes into account the laws of the game and, crucially, how the Premier League expects its games to be refereed.

That is why the list of errors is not as extensive as supporters would expect.

The KMI Panel first looks at the decision of the on-field referee team, and then of the VAR.

As the VAR is operating to a higher threshold – clear and obvious – there are times when the KMI Panel will say the referee was wrong but the VAR was correct not to intervene.

The KMI Panel also considers situations which are not reviewable by VAR, such as second yellow cards missed.

A simple majority is then required to determine if the decision was correct or not.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG