Connect with us

News

NEMA Facilitates Voluntary Repatriation of 522 Stranded Nigerians from Niger

Published

on

Spread the love

The National Emergency Management Agency on Sunday received another batch of 522 stranded Nigerians from Niamey, Niger Republic, as part of ongoing voluntary repatriation efforts.

 

The returnees, conveyed in 12 luxurious buses, arrived at the Malam Aminu Kano International Airport in Kano at about 5:10 p.m. for profiling.

Speaking to newsmen after receiving the returnees, the Head of Operations, NEMA Kano Office, Dr. Nura Abdullahi, said the exercise was purely voluntary and not a forced evacuation.

“It is a voluntary repatriation of Nigerians from the Niger Republic. The returnees were brought back by the Federal Government through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,” he said

He said that the returnees comprised 267 male adults, 101 female adults, 82 boys, and 72 girls from different parts of Nigeria, particularly Kano, Jigawa, Plateau, Bauchi, among others.

He said that NEMA, in collaboration with relevant stakeholders, had put adequate arrangements in place to cater for the returnees upon arrival.

“We have all our relevant stakeholders on the ground. The Nigerian Red Cross is here with their medical team, and we also provided a mobile intensive care unit.

“As you can see, some of them have health challenges and are already receiving medical attention,” he said.

He attributed the migration of many of the returnees to the search for better economic opportunities abroad.

“Most of them were likely heading to countries like Libya and Algeria in search of greener pastures, but had to return after realising the journey was not safe,” he added.

Abdullahi noted that arrangements had been made for temporary shelter for the returnees.

The News Agency of Nigeria(NAN) reports that the returnees were given food, blankets, mosquito nets, and dignity kits containing toiletries, wrappers, sanitary pads, and other essentials.

“After necessary physical verification and profiling, they will be transported to their respective states,” he said.

He advised the general public to avoid endangering their lives by travelling to seek greener pastures in other countries, adding that no country is better than their country of origin.

Also speaking, a representative of the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Magaji Umar, commended the Federal Government for ensuring the safe and dignified return of the citizens.

He said that the exercise aligned with Nigeria’s national migration policy and the current administration’s commitment to protecting its citizens abroad.

According to him, the operation was a result of coordinated engagement among key stakeholders, including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nigerian missions, and the International Organization for Migration.

Umar reiterated the government’s resolve to continue collaborating with relevant partners to manage migration effectively and safeguard the welfare of Nigerians.

NAN reports that the agency had, on March 23, received 708 stranded Nigerians from the Niger Republic.

NAN reports that the returnees were received by NEMA, along with other sister security agencies, including SEMA, National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and IDPs, Nigeria Red Cross, and Nigeria Immigration Service.

 

 

(NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

EFCC Boss Orders Officers To Apologise To UUTH Surgeon Over Raid

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Ola Olukoyede, chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has directed that an apology be made to Eyo Ekpe, a professor of cardiothoracic surgery at the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH), and members of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA).

 

In a statement on Monday, the commission said the directive follows the receipt and consideration of a preliminary report on the May 12, 2026, incident involving its personnel and medical staff of the teaching hospital.

The EFCC said Olukoyede expressed regret at the discomfort that the unfortunate episode caused for staff of the hospital and members of the public.

“Pursuant to the receipt and consideration of a preliminary report on the May 12, 2026 incident involving personnel of the Commission and medical staff of the Uyo University Teaching Hospital, the Executive Chairman, Mr. Ola Olukoyede has directed that an apology be made to Professor Eyo Ekpe, the Deputy Chairman, Medical Advisory Committee of UUTH, and members of the Nigerian Medical Association, NMA,” the statement reads.

He acknowledged that the wellbeing of Nigerians is at the core of the commission’s mandate and reiterated that the EFCC would carry out a full investigation into the incident, assuring that officers found culpable would face disciplinary measures.

The EFCC chairman said the commission is determined to work with stakeholders to prevent a recurrence of such incidents in the future.

He added that the “unfortunate incident” would not deter the commission from pressing ahead with the execution of its mandate in any part of Nigeria.

He also appealed to the NMA and other professional bodies to continue supporting the EFCC in its anti-corruption efforts.

Continue Reading

News

We’ll Mobilise Only Graduates With NERD Certificate – NYSC

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, has reaffirmed that it is committed to enforcing the Federal Government’s directive mandating all Prospective Corps Members to present a compliance certificate from the Nigeria Education Repository and Databank, NERD.

 

The Director-General of NYSC, Brigadier General Olakunle Nafiu, stated this in his keynote address at the 2026 Batch ‘B’ Pre-Mobilization Workshop themed, “Strengthening Institutional Accountability and Compliance in the NYSC Mobilization Process for Effective Service Delivery,” held in Abuja.

He appealed to Corps Producing Institutions to adequately sensitize their students and ensure strict compliance with the initiative.

General Nafiu emphasized that the mobilization process was not the sole responsibility of the NYSC, urging regulatory bodies, security agencies, and relevant ministries to provide the necessary support through policy guidance, capacity building, and enforcement of compliance standards.

He said, “When we work in synergy, we ease the path for our Prospective Corps Members, ensuring that their transition from student to national service is smooth, transparent, and credible.

“Let us be bold in confronting the obstacles before us and creative in fashioning solutions that will stand the test of time.

“Let us build a more accountable, transparent, and efficient mobilization process for the benefit of all,” he said.

Earlier in her address, the NYSC Director, Corps Mobilization, Mrs. Rachel Ideawor, described the Pre-Mobilization Workshop as a vital platform for fostering collaboration between the Scheme, Corps Producing Institutions, and other critical stakeholders.

She noted that although significant progress had been made in enhancing the NYSC mobilization process, there was still a need to optimize service delivery across the entire mobilization value chain.

“I urge our Student Affairs Officers to approach their responsibilities with diligence and integrity, ensuring that the information provided accurately reflects the true profiles of Prospective Corps Members,” Ideawor said.

Continue Reading

News

Dambazau: State Police Must Not Be Under Gov’s control

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Retired Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau, a former Chief of Army Staff, says establishing state police will only be effective in Nigeria if it is strictly professionalised.

 

Dambazau told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that state policing must be insulated from the control of state governors to prevent its weaponization against political opponents.

He also called strict, non-compromised profiling, vetting, and training of personnel to guarantee competence and curb misconduct.

The framework, he added, must include standardized, national oversight and operational guidelines to prevent potential human rights abuses or the emergence of ethnic militias

“It requires training, equipment, discipline, accountability, transparency, adherence to the rule of law, and respect for human rights.

“So in all , where you have state and national police, if you don’t enhance the quality, make the force professional, then you won’t have the results expected.”

He noted that with regards to insecurity, the targeted communities were in the rural population, adding that in those areas, there is hardly no elements of law enforcement in those communities.

“Probably that is why people are calling for state police. But of course, the state policing requires what the national police requires.

“I believe that people are calling for that because they think the system we have is too centralised. Therefore, if you decentralise it, it will work. Yeah, it will work only if you make it professional.

“To make it professional, you have to train it well, equip it, ensure there is absolute discipline, and that the welfare of personnel is taken care of very well.

“You have to also ensure that they meet the minimum universal standard of policing. Of course, beyond that, you have to ensure that there is trust.

“You build trust and confidence between the police and the public, whether it’s state or not, because where the public doesn’t have trust, then it becomes a problem,” he said.

Dambazau who is now Nigeria’s Ambassador designate to China, said: “This is why sometimes even communities would contribute money to bandits to protect them against other bandits.

“So to me whether state police or not, the standard must be monumental. If your state creates state police and the standards are not there, then you are going back to square one.

“So of course the states will have to be ready to fund it adequately. Human capital development is an ingredient in ensuring security,” he added. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG