News
PFIPC: Senate Declines Motion To Investigate Agency’s N1.3bn Budget Allocation
The Senate on Wednesday(today) declined to launch a comprehensive investigation into the budgetary allocation, operations, and growing controversy surrounding the purported Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC).
The move for a holistic probe was initiated by Senator Suleiman Kawu (APC, Kano South), who raised a point of order during plenary.
Citing Order 9 and Rule 9(c) of the Senate Standing Orders (2026), Kawu presented a motion titled, “Urgent Need to Investigate the Budgetary Allocation, Operations, and Controversy surrounding the purported Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC) to safeguard the Integrity of the Senate and the Federal Government.”
In his presentation, Kawu argued that the controversies surrounding the council directly threaten the integrity of the Senate, the credibility of the National Assembly, and the legislature’s constitutional oversight and appropriation powers.
According to him, “The Senate notes with concern that, in recent weeks, the public space has been inundated with allegations, controversies, accusations and counter-accusations concerning an entity known as the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC).
In his prayers, Senator Kawu urged the Senate to condemn in the strongest terms the administrative lapses, internal collaborations, or fraudulent schemes that enabled a purportedly nonexistent or unauthorised entity under Budget Code: 0111062001 to be incorporated into the 2026 Appropriation Act.
He also asked the Senate to direct the Committees on Ethics, Code of Conduct & Public Petitions; and Appropriations to conduct a comprehensive investigation surrounding the inclusion of the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC) in the 2026 Appropriation Act, with a view to determining the process through which the sum of N1,302,978,784 was proposed, scrutinised, justified and approved during the appropriation process; the ministries, departments and agencies as well as the public officials or other persons responsible for facilitating the recognition and inclusion of the PFIPC in the national budget; and whether any funds have been released, committed or expended under the budgetary allocation, including whether any bank account has been established or operated with the budget line.
After the presentation of the motion, the deputy president of the Senate, Senator Barau Jibrin, APC, Kano North, who presided over the plenary, asked that the issue should not be discussed against the backdrop that the Executive was already handling the matter.
According to Jibrin, President Bola Tinubu had already asked the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to investigate the matter as he urged the Senate to wait for the executive
News
Lagos Govt Bans Permanent Use Of Dealer Number Plates
The Lagos State Government has reiterated its prohibition on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.
The Director, Public Affairs, Ministry of Transportation, Mrs Bolanle Ogunlola, said this in a statement on Sunday in Lagos.
Ogunlola warned motorists and vehicle dealers against using dealer number plates for purposes outside those permitted by law.
She said the Lagos State Transport Sector Reform Law, 2018, restricted dealer plates to specific, time-limited activities.
According to her, permitted uses include authorised test drives, vehicle inspections, vehicle delivery or collection, and movement of unregistered vehicles.
She said such movement must be directly from ports or authorised dealer premises to designated locations.
“Their use for private daily commuting, continuous operation on public roads, or on vehicles already sold is prohibited,” Ogunlola said.
She noted that the Vehicle Inspection Service (VIS) had apprehended 175 vehicles for violating regulations governing dealer number plates.
Ogunlola said the dealer plates recovered from the affected vehicles would be confiscated, while the vehicles would undergo further investigation.
She warned that vehicles operating with unauthorised, fake, obscured or improperly used registration numbers would face enforcement action.
According to her, sanctions include impoundment and prosecution under relevant traffic laws.
News
Over 4,000 Abandoned Mine Pits In Plateau – Alake
The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dele Alake, has said that more than 4,000 abandoned mine pits exist across Plateau State.
Alake said the pits, many of which were dug by former mining companies, posed environmental and safety challenges but could be converted into productive ventures through proper rehabilitation.
He stated this in a statement issued on Sunday by his Special Assistant on Media, Lara Owoeye-Wise, following the death of seven people in a collapsed mine pit at Kassa, Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of the state.
The minister described the incident as tragic and avoidable, warning artisanal miners against entering abandoned pits without the required licences and permits.
He urged miners to organise themselves into cooperatives and obtain necessary approvals to operate legally.
Alake said the large number of abandoned pits in Plateau was a legacy of the activities of the former Amalgamated Tin Mines Limited and its successor companies, Consolidated Tin Mines Limited and Nigerian Tin and Allied Products Limited.
He said the Federal Government had rehabilitated 59 abandoned mine pits, while introducing technology-driven measures to identify and assess thousands of others.
According to him, the ministry has entered into a public-private partnership to deploy Geographic Information System satellite mapping and Artificial Intelligence to locate and characterise the abandoned pits.
He said Plateau would be the pilot beneficiary of the initiative, which would also develop plans for the eventual reclamation of the sites.
Alake urged private investors to partner with the government to convert abandoned mine sites into productive ventures, including energy, tourism and fisheries projects.
He described public-private partnership as the “most proactive and fastest approach” to turning the abandoned pits into productive assets.
“The challenge before the state and the Federal Government is how to turn these potential pits of death into centres of joyful prosperity,” he said.
News
Tinubu: No Leader Has Impacted Nigeria like Babangida
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has congratulated elder statesman and former military President, General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida (rtd), on his 85th birthday, saying the ex Military leader has impacted Nigeria in ways no other leader has done.
President Tinubu disclosed this in a statement by Bayo Onanuga, his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy.
He also described General Babangida as an outstanding leader whose remarkable military career culminated in his leadership of the nation following the 1985 coup.
The President said “Like him or not, former President Babangida impacted Nigeria in ways no other leader has. His eight-year reign left enduring marks on our political, economic, and geographic landscape.
“He expanded the nation’s economy, established lasting infrastructure, and created several agencies and institutions that continue to serve the national interest. But for his foresight, wisdom, and sense of equity and fairness, many states in the federation might not exist today.”
The President noted that General Babangida’s name and legacy would remain indelible in Nigeria’s history because of his many contributions to national development.
“Even in retirement, living a quiet life at his Minna Hilltop residence in Niger State, General Babangida continues to offer valuable counsel and guidance to the nation. His advice and wise counsel remain an inspiration to younger generations”, the President said.
” I wish you continued grace, good health, and renewed strength. May Almighty Allah keep you with us for many more years to come,” the President added.
-
Health & Wellness12 months agoPresident Tinubu Directs Cut in Dialysis Cost from ₦50,000 to ₦12,000
-
News1 year agoPICTURE: In Lagos Couple Sentenced to 22½ Years for Cannabis Trafficking
-
Trending News1 year agoNELFUND Disburses ₦86bn To 449,000 Beneficiaries
-
Business5 months agoDangote Refinery Reduces Petrol Gantry Price To ₦1,200 Per Litre
-
Business2 years agoHeritage Bank Customers’ Path to Securing ₦5m Insured Funds: A Step-By-Step Guide by NDIC”
-
International News5 months agoIndian Police Arrest Nigerian Over ₦290m Drug Haul
-
Business5 months agoAfter Plea Bargain, Court Discharges Stella Oduah of ₦2.5bn Fraud
-
Business2 years ago
Dangote; We Did Not Fix ₦600/Litre Petrol Price
