Connect with us

News

Ticketing: Black Marketers Takeover As Abuja-Kaduna Train Services Drop To Single Trip Daily

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Passengers using the Abuja-Kaduna train service have expressed concern over the continued reduction in train operations along the corridor.

 

The route, which at one time recorded about five trips daily from both ends, has now been reduced to a single trip, forcing passengers to compete for the limited tickets amid allegations of black-market racketeering.

This is in addition to the suspension of operations every Wednesday to allow for maintenance of train engines and the rail tracks.

According to report, the latest reduction began penultimate Friday, one of the four days when the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) previously operated two trips because of high passenger demand from both Abuja and Kaduna.

Before the development, the NRC operated two trips on Fridays and Saturdays from Abuja, while similar schedules were maintained on Sundays and Mondays from Kaduna to cater to the high number of passengers travelling to and from the Federal Capital Territory for weekend activities.

Sources at the Kubwa Train Station said he the reduction became necessary after one of the two locomotives serving the route developed a mechanical fault.

“As you may know, each train operates with two engines – one at the front of the coaches and another at the rear,” one source said.

“The front engine powers the train to its destination, while the rear engine is used for the return journey. Each engine also serves as a backup for the other.

“With one of the engines currently faulty, we have had to reduce operations to a single trip daily because it would be risky to operate two trips using only one engine.”

The situation has compounded the challenges faced by travellers, making tickets increasingly difficult to obtain through both online and over-the-counter channels.

Passengers currently purchase tickets under three categories – economy, business class and executive – with different prices for online and physical purchases.

Economy tickets purchased online 48 hours before departure cost about N4,000, while over-the-counter tickets, when available shortly before departure, cost N3,500.

Business class tickets cost N7,000 online and N6,500 over the counter, while executive class tickets sell for N13,000 online and N12,000 at station counters.

Speaking on the development, a passenger, Comrade Adamu Abdulmumini, who travels along the corridor twice weekly, said the purpose for which the rail service was established had gradually been undermined since the end of the administration of the late President Muhammadu Buhari, under whom the service was inaugurated.

He alleged that the ticketing system now resembles a black-market operation.

“Passengers find it almost impossible to secure tickets online because the portal hardly works, while over-the-counter tickets are sold only a few minutes before departure, if they are available at all,” he said.

“Instead, people are advised to buy tickets from individuals outside the station, who sell them at exorbitant prices.

“Because passengers are desperate to travel by train, many have no choice but to buy from these people, who may be staff members or agents.”

He added that such tickets often bear names different from those of the actual passengers using them.

Another passenger, Abigail Gani, said she spent almost a week trying unsuccessfully to obtain an online ticket before finally securing one for Saturday’s trip last Friday.

According to her, economy tickets that officially cost between N3,500 and N4,000 are resold on the black market for between N5,000 and N10,000.

Another commuter, Ismaila Idris, said repeated attempts to buy tickets online had resulted in his account being debited several times without successful bookings.

“The same thing happened to my wife. After reporting the issue, the management told her the problem was with her bank.

“The bank promised to refund the money if it was responsible, but she has yet to receive the refund,” he said.

Another passenger, Thank-God Aya, who travelled from Mararaba in Nasarawa State to the Kubwa Train Station, said he was disappointed after being informed that over-the-counter tickets were unavailable.

Similarly, Abraham Jacob said he waited for ticket sales to commence but was unable to secure one.

Efforts to obtain an official response from the NRC were unsuccessful.

The Kubwa Train Station Manager, Shedrack Kure, declined to comment, saying he was not authorised to speak to the media on matters relating to train operations.

However, another official at the station, who requested anonymity, said the Abuja-Kaduna rail service was facing serious operational challenges, including inadequate locomotives and coaches.

A source at the Federal Ministry of Transportation also said about N5 billion would be required to fully revamp the corridor.

“Even if 10 trips were operated daily from both ends of the corridor, they would still attract enough passengers,” the source said.

“There was an attempt to move an additional locomotive from Lagos, where it is currently at an NRC warehouse, but the plan has yet to receive approval due to a lack of political will.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Abuja Politicians Caused APC Defeat In Osun— Gov

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Nasarawa State Governor, Abdullahi Sule, has attributed the All Progressives Congress’ (APC) defeat in the August 15 Osun State governorship election to what he described as the intervention of “Abuja politicians” in the party’s campaign.

 

Sule said the outcome also demonstrated the considerable advantage enjoyed by an incumbent governor in a governorship election.

He made the remarks on Tuesday at a press briefing in Lafia while reflecting on the outcome of the keenly contested Osun election.

Governor Ademola Adeleke, the candidate of the Accord Party, defeated the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, as well as the African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate, Najeem Salaam, and 13 other candidates in the election.

Adeleke polled 511,067 votes to defeat Oyebamiji, who secured 444,815 votes, while Salaam came third with 17,180 votes.

The incumbent governor won in 19 of the 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji secured victory in the remaining 11.

The APC has rejected the outcome of the election and questioned aspects of the process.

However, Adeleke’s victory has continued to attract political reactions, with President Bola Tinubu congratulating him shortly after the election.

Speaking on the defeat of the APC, Sule said the party’s chances were undermined by the activities of some politicians from Abuja who, according to him, intervened in the state shortly before the election.

“I’m not going to brag about anything that we are going to do, but what I can tell you is that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has done well,” Sule said.“And then I see some people are actually happy and they are celebrating that APC has lost. APC lost partly because of the Abuja politicians.

“Because if not for some of these Abuja politicians, there was no way for APC to lose in Osun.”

The governor said the election had underscored the importance of incumbency in determining the outcome of governorship contests.

“But what it means is that the power of a sitting governor is not something you can joke around. That’s the message that was sent actually in Osun,” he said.

Sule further argued that those celebrating the APC’s defeat might be overlooking the role played by the incumbent governor’s political structure and influence.

“For people who are celebrating, they don’t even understand what the hell they are celebrating,” he said.

“What they are celebrating is that the power of a sitting governor in Osun is what has stopped them from winning.”

He maintained that the APC’s loss in Osun should not be interpreted as a rejection of the performance of the Tinubu administration at the federal level.

Rather, he attributed the outcome largely to the peculiar political dynamics surrounding the governorship contest and the influence of the incumbent administration in the state.

Continue Reading

News

Lagos Declares Thursday Public Holiday To Mark Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Day

Published

on

Spread the love

 

 

Lagos State Government has declared Thursday, August 20, 2026, a work-free day to enable residents and visitors to participate in this year’s Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Day celebrations.

The state government expects more than three million people to take part in activities marking the annual celebration, which promotes Yoruba traditional religion, culture and indigenous heritage.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Tourism, Arts and Culture, Idris Aregbe, announced the arrangement in a statement issued on Wednesday, describing Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Day as more than an ordinary public holiday.

“Ìṣẹ̀ṣe is not a relic. It is a living expression of our traditions and a celebration of Yoruba spirituality as an important part of Nigeria’s cultural and religious landscape,” Aregbe said.

He noted that the Yoruba people, whose population is estimated at more than 55 million globally, have continued to preserve their cultural practices and pass them from one generation to another.

According to him, the continued observance of Yoruba traditions has also helped sustain Ìṣẹ̀ṣe celebrations among Yoruba communities in countries such as Cuba, Brazil and parts of the Caribbean.

“When the drums sound in Lagos on Thursday, they answer drums in Havana, in Salvador, in Port of Spain. Fifty-five million people and counting. Lagos is not observing a local holiday. Lagos is standing at the centre of a global heritage,” he said.

The celebration is the climax of a week-long programme of traditional activities and has been recognised as a work-free day in Lagos since 2023 following a request by the Lagos State Council of Obas and Chiefs.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has maintained the practice annually as part of his administration’s commitment to promoting indigenous heritage and religious inclusiveness under the THEMES+ agenda.

Aregbe said this year’s programme would feature traditional prayers, rituals, processions, drumming and other cultural performances dedicated to the Òrìṣà. The activities will be coordinated by the Association of African Traditional Religion Nigeria and Overseas.

Aregbe urged participants to observe the celebrations peacefully and with respect for people of different faiths.

Continue Reading

News

FG Releases Details Of Fuel Subsidy Removal Savings In 3 Yrs

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The President Bola Ahmed Tinubu-led administration has released a breakdown of the N15.8 trillion in savings from fuel subsidy removal and gains of other reforms over the last three years.

The Minister of Finance, Taiwo Oyedele, disclosed this on Wednesday, giving a detailed breakdown of the administration’s subsidy removal reforms.

According to Oyedele, the reforms resulted in N15.8 trillion in savings that accrued to the Federation Account.

He noted that the savings from fuel subsidy removal were shared among the Federal Government, states and local governments.

According to him, the Federal Government received N5.43 trillion, while the states received N6.52 trillion and local governments received N3.88 trillion from the fuel subsidy removal savings.

Oyedele explained that the reforms also generated N3.12 trillion in other incremental revenues and N11.85 trillion in incremental borrowing.

As a result, the Federal Government had approximately N20.4 trillion in incremental resources during the period under review.

However, he noted that additional expenditures incurred by the government during the same period amounted to approximately N30.64 trillion.

“The Federal Government had approximately N20.4 trillion in incremental resources.

“Over the same period, additional expenditures amounted to approximately N30.64 trillion. Subsidy removal therefore did not create one large pool of cash available to the Federal Government. It reduced a major fiscal burden and the amount of additional borrowing that would otherwise have been required”, he stated.

He added that of the N30.64 trillion in expenditures, N9.39 trillion was spent on wage adjustments, N9.37 trillion on external debt servicing, N6.47 trillion on infrastructure, and N3.14 trillion on electricity subsidies.

Tinubu had in May and June 2023, announced the removal of fuel subsidy and the liberalisation of the naira, which led to significant increases in fuel prices and fluctuations in the value of the naira.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG