News
39-Yr Old Succeeds Ishaq Oloyede As JAMB Registrar
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed Professor Segun Aina as the new Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).’
Aina, who will be 40 in July, succeeds Professor Is-haq Oloyede, whose two-term tenure expires on July 31, 2026.
In a statement, Bayo Onanuga, Presidential spokesman, described Aina as a distinguished academic and systems expert with extensive experience in national examination systems, digital infrastructure, and public-sector institutional reform.
“He holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Systems Engineering from the University of Kent, an MSc in Internet Computing and Network Security, and a PhD in Digital Signal Processing, both from Loughborough University, United Kingdom. He has also completed the Senior Management Programme at Lagos Business School.
“A Professor of Computer Engineering at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Aina began his career with JAMB during his National Youth Service, gaining foundational experience in national admissions and data-driven institutional processes. These insights have shaped his ongoing contributions to examination reform and systems optimisation.
“Professor Aina is a member of several professional bodies, including the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN), the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), and the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).”
Onanuga said Tinubu expects Aina to bring to bear his vast experience, knowledge and practical insight into the operations of the Board and to take the critical educational organisation beyond the laudable heights achieved by his predecessor.
International News
W/Cup: Germany Recalls Retired Goalie @ 40
Manuel Neuer has been called up to Germany’s World Cup squad – two years after his international retirement.
The 40-year-old was named as part of Julian Nagelsmann’s 26-man squad for the tournament this summer, having not featured for his country since Euro 2024.
Among the list include Premier League players Malick Thiaw and Nick Woltemade – both of Newcastle – Arsenal striker Kai Havertz, Liverpool midfielder Florian Wirtz and Brighton’s Pascal Gross.
Injured duo Serge Gnabry and Anton Stach and forwards Karim Adeyemi, Kevin Schade and Niclas Fullkrug are among those to miss out.
Germany’s World Cup squad in full
Goalkeepers: Oliver Baumann (Hoffenheim), Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Alexander Nubel (Stuttgart)
Defenders: Waldemar Anton (Borussia Dortmund), Nathaniel Brown (Eintracht Frankfurt), David Raum (RB Leipzig), Antonio Rudiger (Real Madrid), Nico Schlotterbeck (Borussia Dortmund), Jonathan Tah (Bayern Munich), Malick Thiaw (Newcastle)
Midfielders: Pascal Gross (Brighton), Joshua Kimmich (Bayern Munich), Felix Nmecha (Borussia Dortmund), Aleksandar Pavlovic (Bayern Munich), Angelo Stiller (Stuttgart), Leon Goretzka (Bayern Munich), Florian Wirtz (Liverpool), Jamie Leweling (Stuttgart)
Forwards: Maximilian Beier (Borussia Dortmund), Kai Havertz (Arsenal), Lennart Karl (Bayern Munich), Jamal Musiala (Bayern Munich), Leroy Sane (Galatasaray), Deniz Undav (Stuttgart), Nick Woltemade (Newcastle)
International News
Mikel Obi Claims Credit For Alonso’s Chelsea Appointment
Former Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel has opened up on the club’s decision to appoint Xabi Alonso as their new manager.
The Blues confirmed the Spaniard as their next head coach following the conclusion of the 2025-26 season, with Alonso set to take charge ahead of the upcoming campaign.
Mikel had previously been vocal about Chelsea’s managerial philosophy, urging the club’s ownership to move away from short-term head coaches and interim appointments and instead bring in a proper manager with full control over the squad
Speaking on his most recent podcast, Mikel said:
“I am glad the owners listened to me, and listened to the fans.
“Forget about coaches, what we have always had are managers, and what we need is a manager who decides on the players he wants out and the players who can stay.
“We need a strong personality, and that is what we have got now in Alonso.
“That title has been changed from coach to manager, but I hope it’s not just words and he is actually allowed to manage the squad. But I am very happy with the appointment.”
Chelsea are still in the hunt for Europa League football, and a win over Sunderland on the final day of the Premier League season would go a long way in determining whether Alonso inherits a European stage to build on next season.
News
Over 450 Domestic Violence Complaints Recorded In Lagos Monthly
The Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA) has disclosed that it receives over 450 domestic violence-related complaints every month through its hotlines, social media platforms, and online channels.
The agency’s executive secretary, Titilola Vivour-Adeniyi, made the disclosure during a stakeholders’ engagement and technical training organised by the Lagos State Command and Control Centre in Ikeja.
According to her, the agency records between 400 and 450 fresh cases monthly, noting that domestic and sexual violence remain significantly underreported despite the rising number of complaints being received.
“We know we’ve not scratched the surface because these issues remain some of the most under-reported crimes globally, but we are encouraged that more people now have faith in the system,” she said.
Vivour-Adeniyi stated that more survivors are now seeking help through emergency lines, agency offices, and social media platforms.
She explained that the agency operates a 24-hour gender-based violence virtual referral response service in partnership with emergency responders, ensuring that victims can access immediate assistance and psychosocial support at any time through the 203 emergency line.
The DSVA boss stressed that domestic violence goes beyond physical abuse, noting that emotional and verbal abuse are also recognised offences under Lagos State law.
“The fact that the abuse is not physical does not make it less harmful. People should not die in silence,” she said.
She also warned parents against concealing sexual abuse cases involving minors, stressing that failure to report such crimes attracts legal consequences.
According to her, parents found guilty of covering up sexual offences risk up to three years imprisonment under the law.
Vivour-Adeniyi urged families and members of the public to promptly report abuse cases and make use of available support services to ensure survivors receive justice, protection, and proper care.
-
Health & Wellness9 months agoPresident Tinubu Directs Cut in Dialysis Cost from ₦50,000 to ₦12,000
-
News10 months agoPICTURE: In Lagos Couple Sentenced to 22½ Years for Cannabis Trafficking
-
Trending News9 months agoNELFUND Disburses ₦86bn To 449,000 Beneficiaries
-
Business2 months agoDangote Refinery Reduces Petrol Gantry Price To ₦1,200 Per Litre
-
International News2 months agoIndian Police Arrest Nigerian Over ₦290m Drug Haul
-
Business2 months agoAfter Plea Bargain, Court Discharges Stella Oduah of ₦2.5bn Fraud
-
Business2 years agoHeritage Bank Customers’ Path to Securing ₦5m Insured Funds: A Step-By-Step Guide by NDIC”
-
Business2 years ago
Dangote; We Did Not Fix ₦600/Litre Petrol Price
