Connect with us

International News

Ghana Rejects State Visit By Ramaphosa As Xenophobic Attacks Ignite Diplomatic Row With SA. 

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Fresh diplomatic tensions have emerged between Ghana and South Africa after the Ghanaian government declined to host South African President Cyril Ramaphosa for a planned state visit, citing concerns over the reported killing of a Ghanaian citizen and alleged xenophobic attacks against its nationals. 

 

The decision follows the death of 40-year-old Bashiru Isak, whom Ghana says was killed during demonstrations associated with renewed attacks on foreign nationals in South Africa on June 30, 2026.

Officials in Accra said the postponement of the visit reflects Ghana’s growing concern over the security of its citizens residing in South Africa.

They maintained that ensuring the safety of Ghanaians abroad must take precedence over high-level diplomatic engagements.

President Ramaphosa had been expected in Ghana during the first week of August for a state visit aimed at reinforcing the longstanding relationship between both countries.

The visit was also expected to provide an opportunity for discussions on bilateral cooperation and concerns surrounding attacks on foreign nationals.

However, Ghanaian authorities indicated that the prevailing situation made it difficult to proceed with the visit until issues surrounding the reported killing and the welfare of Ghanaian citizens were adequately addressed.

As part of its response, the Ghanaian government has formally protested to South African authorities over Isak’s death and expressed broader concerns about the safety of Ghanaians living in the country.

According to Ghanaian officials, Isak was shot dead during what they described as “anti-immigrant demonstrations linked to ongoing xenophobic attacks” in Cape Town’s Khayelitsha township.

South Africa has rejected that account, insisting that Ghana’s claims are inaccurate.

Authorities in Pretoria said no fatalities were recorded during the June 30 demonstrations, which attracted thousands of protesters in different parts of the country.

South Africa’s Justice Minister, Mmamoloko Kubayi, accused Ghanaian authorities of circulating incorrect information capable of damaging South Africa’s reputation.

“It is concerning that Ghanaian authorities continue to communicate false information about South Africa regarding developments on irregular migration,” she said in a statement.

“The spread of false information to perpetuate the false narrative that South Africa is xenophobic is unacceptable,” she added.

The disagreement has placed renewed attention on the safety of African migrants in South Africa, where previous incidents of violence against foreign nationals have repeatedly drawn concern from governments across the continent.

Although the latest dispute has strained relations, Ghana and South Africa remain two of Africa’s closest diplomatic and economic partners, with cooperation spanning trade, investment, regional integration and continental affairs. Officials from both countries are expected to continue diplomatic engagements as efforts are made to resolve the disagreement and preserve their longstanding bilateral ties.

The Ghanaian government had earlier petitioned the African Union (AU) over the killing of one of its citizens, a 40-year-old fashion designer, Mr. Bashiru Isak, who was allegedly shot dead during anti-immigrant violence in Khayelitsha, Cape Town, South Africa.

The Ghanaian government described the incident as a senseless act of xenophobic brutality.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International News

Germany Deports 137 Nigerians In Five Chartered Flights

Published

on

Spread the love

 

German authorities deported at least 137 Nigerian citizens across five chartered flights between February and June 2026, according to migration monitoring reports.

 

Data from the DERS Team and Refugees4refugees.org shows the deportations occurred in phases, with 27 Nigerians returned in February, 37 in March through a joint European Union operation, 24 in April, 23 in May, and 26 in June.

The February operation departed from Stuttgart and landed at Lagos Cargo Airport, with Baden-Württemberg listed as a primary participant. The March operation represented the largest single return of Nigerians recorded over three years and was executed in collaboration with Spain, Austria, and Belgium.

The reports indicate a growing reliance on multi-national chartered flights by European states to repatriate undocumented or non-resident individuals to Nigeria.

Continue Reading

International News

US Wants Justice In The killing Of Pastor Dachomo’s 9 Family Members 

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The United States has condemned the killing of members of the family of Plateau-based cleric, Rev. Ezekiel Dachomo, describing the attack as horrific and urging Nigerian authorities to ensure those responsible are brought to justice.

 

In a statement shared on X on Thursday, the US Department of State’s Bureau of African Affairs expressed condolences to the victims’ families and called for stronger measures to prevent further attacks on vulnerable communities across Nigeria’s Middle Belt.

“The United States strongly condemns the horrific killing of members of Rev. Ezekiel Dachomo’s family in Plateau State, Nigeria. The continued violence targeting Christian communities and other vulnerable populations in Nigeria’s Middle Belt is deeply alarming,” the bureau said

The US said it had already engaged Nigerian officials on the worsening security situation, stressing that urgent action was needed to curb recurring attacks and hold perpetrators accountable.

“As I discussed last week with Nigerian officials, we must do more to prevent violent acts. The perpetrators must be held accountable, and urgent action is needed to strengthen security and protect Christians and other vulnerable communities,” the statement added.

The bureau reaffirmed Washington’s commitment to working with the Nigerian government to combat terrorism and violent extremism, stressing that Christians and other Nigerians should be able to practise their faith without fear of violence.

The statement followed the July 12 attack on Kum community in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau State, where nine members of Rev. Dachomo’s extended family, including a two-month-old baby, were killed.

According to the cleric, the attackers, believed to be armed Fulani militias, asked for him by name before opening fire on his relatives.

Dachomo, who serves as Regional Chairman of the Church of Christ in Nations (COCIN) in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area, said his family had repeatedly been targeted because of his outspoken criticism of the violence in Plateau State.

He recalled that his grandmother and an uncle were also killed in previous attacks, adding that days after burying his relatives, he received a written death threat from the same group, warning that he would be their next target.

Continue Reading

International News

Nigeria Missing As Saudi Arabia Names African Countries Eligible For eVisa

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Saudi Arabia has updated its tourist eVisa programme for 2026, limiting eligibility in Africa to only three countries as part of its list of 66 nations whose citizens can apply through the Kingdom’s online visa platform.

 

The move leaves most African countries, including Nigeria, outside the simplified entry scheme.

The electronic visa allows eligible travellers to visit Saudi Arabia for tourism, leisure activities, family visits and Umrah, excluding the annual Hajj pilgrimage. Applications are completed online, eliminating the need for embassy visits and lengthy visa processing.

Saudi authorities said the eVisa forms part of ongoing efforts to expand tourism, attract international visitors and simplify travel procedures through a fully digital application system. The visa is available only to citizens of approved countries and territories listed on the Kingdom’s official tourism portal.

Below is the list of African countries eligible for Saudi Arabia’s eVisa.

1. Mauritius

2. Seychelles

3. South Africa

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG