News
NDLEA Nabs Two Grandfathers For Selling Drugs To Students
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has arrested two elderly men, aged 84 and 75, for allegedly supplying and selling illicit drugs to secondary school students in Umuahia, Abia State.
The suspects, identified as 84-year-old Godfrey Orji and 75-year-old Godwin Obulunbiya Obiora, were arrested in separate operations by operatives of the agency.

According to a statement released on Sunday by NDLEA’s Director of Media and Advocacy, Femi Babafemi, Obiora was arrested on June 19 following intelligence reports that he was selling illicit substances to students and other users from his patent medicine store.
Babafemi said, “Pa Obiora was arrested by NDLEA operatives on Friday, 19th June 2026, following credible intelligence that he was selling illicit substances to young students and others in his patent medicine store located at 4 Club Road, Umuahia, where 4.64 kilograms of opioids, including tramadol and diazepam, were recovered from him during a search of his premises.
The agency said Orji, a pensioner, was arrested after he was caught supplying illicit drugs to students of Saint Silas Secondary School, Old Umuahia.
“In his case, Pa Orji, who is a pensioner and also into the illicit drug trade, was nabbed by security guards at Saint Silas Secondary School, Old Umuahia, for supplying illicit drugs to two teenage students in the school. The guards thereafter handed them over to the police, who in turn transferred them to NDLEA on Thursday, 18th June,” Babafemi stated.
He disclosed that one of the teenagers, a 15-year-old Senior Secondary School Two student, admitted during interrogation that the suspect regularly supplied him with drugs.
“In his statement, one of the two teenagers, a 15-year-old SS2 student, claimed the 84-year-old grandpa supplies him the drugs, which he takes and also sells to fellow students,” the statement added.
The NDLEA said while the two elderly suspects would be prosecuted, the students had been placed on counselling and rehabilitation programmes.
Meanwhile, the agency also announced a series of drug seizures and arrests across the country.
In Lagos, operatives intercepted a consignment of ADB-Chminaca, a synthetic cannabinoid classified as a dangerous new psychoactive substance, at a courier company. The 9.5kg shipment, which originated from China, was concealed in a carton.
Babafemi said another operation on June 16 led to the seizure of 300 grams of Loud, a potent strain of cannabis, hidden inside ladies’ handbags at a logistics company in Lagos.
The agency also raided the residence of a wanted drug dealer, Lukman Badmus, popularly known as Lukman Ogombo, in the Ogombo area of Ajah, Lagos.
“In another interdiction operation in Lagos, NDLEA officers on Friday, 19th June, raided the home of a wanted drug dealer, Lukman Badmus (a.k.a. Lukman Ogombo), in Ogombo area of Ajah, where nine bottles of codeine syrup and 30 grams of skunk were recovered,” Babafemi said.
He added that a follow-up operation at the suspect’s wife’s shop on Lagos Island led to additional recoveries.
“A swift follow-up operation at Lukman’s wife’s shop in Patey area of Lagos Island led to the recovery of additional two bottles of codeine and drug paraphernalia, while 42 compressed blocks of skunk weighing 22.5kg were also recovered from a mini-bus parked in front of her shop. Attempt by the wife, Aisha Saraki, to flush some of the drug exhibits in the toilet during the raid was thwarted by operatives,” he said.
In Kogi State, NDLEA officers intercepted a 33-year-old suspect, Tochukwu Onah, along the Okene–Lokoja Highway with 1.030kg of methamphetamine concealed in custard containers while travelling from Lagos to Abuja.
The agency also confirmed the arrest of two suspects, James Tony Chukwudi, 48, and James Kehinde, 35, who had been wanted in connection with the seizure of 117kg of skunk in Ekiti State in March.
In Oyo State, a 75-year-old suspect, Tudun Olubiyi, alongside Nasiru Buhari, 22, and Buba Musa, 47, was arrested during a raid on a residence in the Dangote area of Elekara, Oyo Town.
Babafemi said operatives recovered “118 jumbo bags containing 1,416kg of skunk covered with sawdust” during the operation.
Similarly, in Edo State, NDLEA officers raided cannabis farms in Khagba Forest, Ikao, Owan East Local Government Area, where 1,744.075kg of skunk was destroyed and 169kg of processed cannabis recovered.
The agency said another operation at Ebora Camp, Ilushi, in Esan South Local Government Area, resulted in the destruction of 2,424.945kg of cannabis, while a suspect, Augustine Anyamone, 45, was arrested with 395kg of skunk.
Commending officers involved in the operations, the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), praised commands in Abia, Ekiti, Oyo, Lagos, Kogi and Edo States for the arrests and seizures.
Marwa noted that their efforts in reducing drug supply were being effectively balanced with the agency’s War Against Drug Abuse sensitisation campaign.
He charged officers across the country “not to rest on their laurels” in the fight against drug trafficking and abuse.
News
Edo Govt Begins Harvest Of Over 500 Hectares of Maize At Udomi Farm
The Edo State Government, through the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security, has commenced the harvesting of over 500 hectares of maize cultivated at the Udomi Farm in Esan Central Local Government Area of the state.
The massive harvest is part of the state government’s drive to boost agricultural production, ensure food security and create a sustainable supply of raw materials for industries and other agricultural value chains.
Addressing journalists during an inspection of the farm, the Commissioner for Agriculture and Food Security, Dr. Jerry Nwangue, said the development was evidence that the state government had the capacity to produce food in commercial quantities for consumption and industrial use.
Nwangue said the administration of Governor Monday Okpebholo had demonstrated a strong commitment to agriculture, stressing that the governor had consistently encouraged residents, particularly young people, to return to farming.
According to him, the government’s agricultural programme is not limited to the Udomi farm, as several other large-scale agricultural projects are ongoing across the state.
He disclosed that the government has established a massive cassava farm and a rice farm at the Ekpoma settlement, while similar rice and cassava production activities are ongoing in Warake and Iguoriakhi.
“This is way way bigger than what we saw last year, we are expanding . This is just one phase. What we are seeing here today is something that has not been done before”.
The commissioner described Governor Okpebholo’s approach to agriculture as “practical governance,” noting that the administration was focused on taking concrete steps to increase food production and strengthen the state’s agricultural economy.
News
Governor’s Visit To Tinubu Was Courtesy, Not APC Overture – Adeleke Camp
The Imole Campaign Council has dismissed speculation that Osun State Governor, Ademola Jackson Nurudeen Adeleke, is planning to defect to the All Progressives Congress (APC), describing his recent visit to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu as a customary courtesy visit following the conclusion of the state’s governorship election.
The council said the meeting between Adeleke and Tinubu was focused on the peace, security and development of Osun State, insisting that the issue of the governor joining the ruling APC did not arise during the visit.
In a statement issued on Friday by the Chairman of the Media and Publicity Committee of the Imole Campaign Council, Rep. Bamidele Salam, the council said Adeleke’s visit was in keeping with the political tradition associated with off-cycle elections.
“The Imole Campaign Council wishes to state that the visit by Osun State Governor, Ademola Jackson Nurudeen Adeleke to His Excellency President Bola Ahmed Tinubu yesterday is in line with customs and political tradition at the conclusion of off cycle elections in Nigeria,” Salam said.
According to the council, Adeleke, having emerged victorious in an off-cycle election, had a responsibility to show respect and appreciation to the President, particularly given Tinubu’s pre-election statements urging the electoral umpire and security agencies to ensure a free and fair election in Osun State.
The council said the meeting also provided an opportunity for the President and the governor to discuss issues relating to peace, security and the development of Osun State following a closely contested and politically charged election.
The clarification came amid speculation in political circles that Adeleke’s visit to the President could signal a possible move to the ruling party, a development that would have significant implications for the political landscape in Osun ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The Imole Campaign Council, however, rejected the speculation, insisting that the governor’s visit had no connection with any plan to join the APC.
The Council expressed appreciation to Tinubu for granting the governor and members of his team an audience, while assuring Adeleke’s supporters of his continued commitment to governing the state, while urging
Its supporters to disregard reports suggesting that the governor’s visit was connected to an impending defection, maintaining that the engagement was undertaken in the interest of peace, stability and the development of Osun State.
International News
Lives Could Be In Danger If We Make Tinubu’s Records Public– FBI To US Court
The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation has warned that releasing some records relating to President Bola Tinubu could endanger the lives or physical safety of individuals, as it seeks permission to privately explain why the documents were withheld.
The FBI made the disclosure in an application filed before the US District Court for the District of Columbia on August 20, asking the court to allow it to submit a confidential declaration explaining its position.
The agency said it could not publicly disclose the full reasons for withholding some of the records because doing so could expose sensitive law-enforcement techniques and procedures.
The FBI is seeking an ex parte, in camera declaration, which would allow it to provide the judge with its explanation privately and under seal.
The records are being sought by Aaron Greenspan, founder of PlainSite, who filed Freedom of Information Act requests for documents relating to Tinubu from 1992 and 1993.
Among the requests is Tinubu’s entire FBI file and interview records connected to an FBI case.
In its application, the FBI said it had invoked several exemptions under the US Freedom of Information Act, including provisions covering personal privacy, confidential sources, law-enforcement techniques and information that could endanger an individual.
The agency said: “The FBI has determined that it cannot provide on the public record the full basis for the application of Exemptions 7(E) and 7(F) to certain withholdings and that, therefore, an ex parte, under seal declaration is necessary.”
The FBI said it would submit the confidential declaration before August 28 if the court grants its request.
The development is the latest step in a prolonged legal dispute over requests for US government records concerning allegations linked to Tinubu and a Chicago drug investigation dating to the early 1990s.
The case began after Greenspan filed multiple FOIA requests with six US federal agencies.
The FBI, Drug Enforcement Administration and other agencies initially refused to confirm or deny whether some of the requested records existed.
However, in April 2025, Judge Beryl Howell ruled that the FBI and DEA had failed to sufficiently justify their refusal to confirm or deny the existence of records concerning Tinubu, ordering the agencies to lift their so-called “Glomar” responses.
The latest application comes as the US Department of Justice continues to respond to court orders concerning the records.
Tinubu’s legal team had also sought additional time to respond, but Judge Howell reportedly declined the request for a 10-day extension.
-
Health & Wellness1 year agoPresident Tinubu Directs Cut in Dialysis Cost from ₦50,000 to ₦12,000
-
News1 year agoPICTURE: In Lagos Couple Sentenced to 22½ Years for Cannabis Trafficking
-
Trending News1 year agoNELFUND Disburses ₦86bn To 449,000 Beneficiaries
-
Business5 months agoDangote Refinery Reduces Petrol Gantry Price To ₦1,200 Per Litre
-
International News5 months agoIndian Police Arrest Nigerian Over ₦290m Drug Haul
-
Business5 months agoAfter Plea Bargain, Court Discharges Stella Oduah of ₦2.5bn Fraud
-
Business2 years agoHeritage Bank Customers’ Path to Securing ₦5m Insured Funds: A Step-By-Step Guide by NDIC”
-
Business2 years ago
Dangote; We Did Not Fix ₦600/Litre Petrol Price
