Connect with us

News

Ogoni Group Rejects FG’s Oil Exploration Plans,Gives Non Negotiable Conditions

Published

on

Spread the love

The Ogoni Voice Achievers Foundation (OVAF) has rejected the federal government’s plan to restart oil exploration in Ogoniland, demanding that no operations commence until a full environmental cleanup is completed and historical justice, including the exoneration of the late Ken Saro-Wiwa and other Ogoni activists, is secured.

 

In a statement signed by OVAF’s Founder and Board of Trustees Chairman, Hon. Ambassador Gospel Barifii Gokana, the group described the government’s approach as ‘deeply flawed, unjust, and unacceptable.’

It warned that resuming exploration without addressing decades of neglect and pollution could stir resentment, social unrest, and renewed conflict.

The foundation’s intervention comes in response to reports that the government had justified its plans for oil restart on the grounds of economic recovery and energy needs.

But Ambassador Gokana faulted that position, pointing to a lack of genuine consultation with the Ogoni people.

“Only a select few have been invited into closed-door negotiations. This selective engagement fails the test of free, prior and informed consent, which is… a right under international human rights norms,” he said.

He also criticised what he described as an ‘absence’ of transparency, accusing the government of making decisions in Abuja offices without deep consideration of what Ogoni communities have suffered historically.

OVAF expressed alarm over the lack of public information on environmental impact assessments, benefit-sharing arrangements, and safety standards.

Central to the group’s stance is the federal government’s failure to fully implement the recommendations of the 2011 United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) report, which documented extensive oil pollution in Ogoniland.

“To resume oil exploration without first fully implementing UNEP recommendations is both ethically wrong and likely to compound the suffering of Ogoni people,” Gokana said, adding that the work of the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has so far been insufficient.

The group laid out non-negotiable conditions, including a halt to new exploration until the UNEP report is fully implemented, reparations are determined, and a genuinely inclusive stakeholder process is established, involving OVAF, MOSOP, women, youth, and traditional councils.

It further demanded binding legal instruments for equitable benefit sharing and independent oversight of environmental safety.

In a symbolic appeal, OVAF called for the exoneration of Ken Saro-Wiwa and eight other Ogoni activists executed in 1995, saying it was necessary for restoring dignity to affected communities.

Ambassador Gokana further made a direct appeal to President Bola Tinubu and relevant agencies “to listen to the voices of the Ogoni people… and to respect our rights, lives, lands, and futures.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

ISIS Nigeria: Many Killed In Fresh Airstrikes Attack 

Published

on

Spread the love

The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) and Nigerian forces have carried out additional airstrikes against ‌Islamic State in northeastern Nigeria.

 

The attack followed the killing of of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, who was eliminated alongside some of his men, on Friday.

In a statement, AFRICOM said No U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed during the strikes.

Commenting on the operation, the Defence Headquarters said more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters were killed.

According to the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, the operation targeted terrorist hideouts in Metele area of northern Borno, a known flashpoint for insurgent attacks.

In a statement, he said the strikes were based on credible intelligence indicating the movement and convergence of terrorist elements in the area.

The Defence Headquarters explained that the latest offensive is part of sustained counterterrorism operations in the North-East, aimed at dismantling insurgent networks and denying them safe havens.

“The ongoing operations follow the neutralisation of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki and are part of sustained efforts to disrupt terrorist networks, remove them from the battlefield and deny the terrorists any safe haven within Nigeria,” the statement read.

The military further reaffirmed its commitment to defending Nigeria’s territorial integrity, stressing that insurgents will continue to face decisive action.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation. Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated. There will be no safe haven for terrorists anywhere in Nigeria,” it added.

Continue Reading

News

Detained Activist, Justice Crack, Gets N5m Bail Gets N5m Bail 

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has granted bail to social media activist Justice Chidiebere aka Justice Crack in the sum of N5 million Naira with one surety in like sum.

 

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, while delivering ruling on Monday, held that the surety must reside within the court’s jurisdiction at a fixed address for at least four years and must provide valid proof of residence, including either a tenancy agreement or certificate of occupancy.

The court further ruled that the surety must be a federal civil servant not below Grade Level 15, with evidence of at least three months’ salary payments, a letter of authentication from the immediate head of department, and proof of pensionable employment.

In addition, the surety is required to depose to an affidavit of means and submit a recent passport photograph, while the defendant is to deposit his international passport with the court.

The case, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/253/2026, stems from his arrest by the Nigerian Army in late April after he posted viral videos criticising the feeding conditions of soldiers deployed to conflict zones.

He was later arraigned by the Department of State Services on a three-count charge bordering on cybercrime, breach of public peace and felony, to which he pleaded not guilty. The Attorney General of the Federation later took over prosecution of the case from the DSS.

The ruling followed weeks of legal back-and-forth, including delays in bail proceedings and a clash between members of his legal team over representation, which forced the withdrawal of an earlier bail application.

His arrest sparked widespread condemnation from human rights groups and activists, who alleged torture and enforced disappearance, while the Nigerian Army denied the claims, insisting the arrest was linked to alleged incitement and conduct capable of undermining military discipline and national security.

Continue Reading

News

Commotion As Gunshots Rock APC Senatorial Primary Venue

Published

on

Spread the love

 

The atmosphere was chaotic earlier today, Monday, during the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial primary election for Ondo Central Senatorial District as suspected thugs disrupted the exercise with sporadic gunshots at Ward 5, Ebenezer African Church Primary School, Amudipe Street, Akure.

 

The incident forced party members, journalists and residents around the area to flee for safety while voting was ongoing at the venue, which also serves as the polling unit of incumbent senator, Adeniyi Adegbonmire.

Other aspirants in the contest include former Secretary to the Ondo State Government, Taiwo Fasoranti, and retired military officer and legal practitioner, Olumuyiwa Adu.

Panic reportedly broke out after armed youths stormed the venue and fired gunshots into the air, forcing teachers and parents within the premises of African Church Primary School and St. Peters African Church Primary School to hurriedly evacuate pupils.

Journalists and party supporters were also seen scaling fences and running for cover as the exercise was abruptly disrupted.

Reacting to the incident, Senator Adegbonmire described the primary election as “a complete charade,” alleging that the violence was deliberately orchestrated to stop his supporters from voting after it became obvious he was leading at the polling unit.

He further alleged that the attackers shot at his vehicle, leaving visible bullet marks on it.

The senator also claimed that similar incidents were recorded in other parts of the senatorial district, alleging that supporters of certain aspirants were openly intimidated and prevented from participating in the exercise.

Adegbonmire called on the national leadership of the All Progressives Congress( APC) to intervene, describing the development as a deliberate attempt to manipulate the outcome of the primary election.

“The same thing happened last week, where voters were intimidated in the House of Reps primaries. Now we are witnessing this again in the Senate. So clearly, it’s a pattern and something has to be done about it,” he said.

Also reacting, Adu dismissed the exercise as a sham, alleging that armed youths openly threatened delegates during the primary.

He, however, said he restrained his supporters from retaliating in order to avoid violence, stressing that no political ambition was worth bloodshed.

Adu warned that recurring violence during APC primaries in Ondo State could deepen internal divisions within the party and negatively affect its future electoral fortunes if not urgently addressed.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG