Connect with us

International News

60 Bodies Found After Israeli Operation In Gaza City

Published

on

Spread the love

Smoke billows during Israeli bombardment on the village of Khiam in south Lebanon near the border with Israel on June 19, 2024 amid ongoing cross-border tensions as fighting continues between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip. (Photo by RABIH DAHER / AFP)

 

Around 60 bodies were found under the rubble of a Gaza City neighbourhood, officials in the Hamas-run territory said Thursday, after Israel’s military declared an end to its operation there.

The upsurge in fighting, bombardment and displacement in the eastern district of Shujaiya came as talks were held in mediator Qatar towards a truce and hostage release deal.

 

US President Joe Biden told reporters that his administration was “making progress” towards a ceasefire agreement as he called for an end to the Israel-Hamas war.

 

His statement came after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu demanded that Israel retain control of key Gaza territory along the border with Egypt — a condition that conflicts with Hamas’s position that Israel must withdraw from all Gaza territory after a ceasefire.

 

Gaza’s civil defence agency said around 60 bodies had been found under the rubble in Shujaiya, after some of Gaza City’s heaviest combat in months.

Hamas said Israel’s operation there had left “more than 300 residential units and more than 100 business destroyed”.

Mohammed Nairi, a Shujaiya resident, said he and others returning to the neighbourhood had seen “immense destruction that defies description. All the houses were demolished.”

 

Israel’s military said on Wednesday it had completed its mission in Shujaiya after two weeks, but bombardments and fighting continued to shake Gaza City.

 

Witnesses said tanks and troops had moved on to other parts of the city.

An AFP correspondent reported air strikes on the Sabra neighbourhood while militants engaged in heavy clashes with Israeli forces in Tel al-Hawa.

 

Hamas reported 45 air strikes in the Gaza City area, as well as in Gaza’s southernmost city of Rafah, where Netanyahu had said the intense phase of the war was nearing its conclusion.

 

– ‘Difficult, complex issues’ –

Netanyahu’s office confirmed that its negotiating team, led by Mossad intelligence chief David Barnea, had returned to Israel following talks with mediators in Doha on Thursday.

Speaking after the team’s return, Netanyahu said Israel needed control of the Palestinian side of Gaza’s border with Egypt to stop weapons reaching Hamas.

 

He added that Israel must also be allowed to keep on fighting until its war aims of destroying Hamas and bringing home all hostages are achieved.

In Washington, Biden acknowledged “difficult, complex issues” remain between Israel and Hamas, but that progress was being made in reaching a ceasefire deal.

 

“There’s a lot of things in retrospect I wish I had been able to convince the Israelis to do, but the bottom line is we have a chance now. It’s time to end this war,” he said after a NATO summit.

 

The Washington Post had reported on Wednesday that both Israel and Hamas had “signalled their acceptance of an ‘interim governance’ plan” in which neither would rule the territory and a US-trained force of Palestinian Authority supporters would provide security.

 

The Pentagon has also announced it will soon permanently end its problem-plagued effort to deliver aid to Gaza by sea from Cyprus using a temporary pier that had been repeatedly damaged by weather conditions.

 

The UN’s health agency meanwhile said that only five trucks carrying medical supplies were allowed into Gaza last week.

 

“More than 34 of our trucks are waiting at the Al Arish crossing, and 850 pallets of medical supplies are awaiting collection. A further 40 trucks are waiting at Ismailiya in Egypt,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Friday on social media platform X.

 

Hamas’s October 7 attack on southern Israel that sparked the war resulted in the deaths of 1,195 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli figures.

 

The militants also seized hostages, 116 of whom remain in Gaza, including 42 the military says are dead.

Israel responded with a military offensive that has killed at least 38,345 people in Gaza, also mostly civilians, according to figures from Gaza’s health ministry.

 

– ‘Dangerous combat zone’ –

The Israeli army dropped leaflets on Wednesday warning “everyone in Gaza City” that it would “remain a dangerous combat zone”.

 

The leaflets urged residents to flee, and set out designated escape routes from the area where the UN humanitarian office said up to 350,000 people had been sheltering.

 

The UN said the latest evacuations “will only fuel mass suffering for Palestinian families, many of whom have been displaced many times”, and who face “critical levels of need”.

 

Hamas official Hossam Badran told AFP that Israel was “hoping that the resistance will relinquish its legitimate demands” in truce negotiations.

But “the continuation of massacres compels us to adhere to our demands”, he said.

 

 

Israel’s military said operations were also continuing in the Rafah area where “dozens” of militants were killed over the past day.

The military said it responded with air and ground strikes after five rockets were fired from the area towards Israel on Thursday.

 

 

The military separately acknowledged Thursday it had “failed” to protect Kibbutz Beeri, where more than 100 people died during Hamas’s October 7 attacks.

A summary of the inquiry, made public after being presented to kibbutz residents, said there had been a “lack of coordination” in the military response.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AFP

International News

Enzo Maresca Gets 3Yr Deal To Replace Pep At Man City

Published

on

Spread the love

Enzo Maresca is believed to have signed a three-year deal to replace outgoing Man City manager Pep Guardiola, after it was revealed that the legendary head coach will be leaving the Etihad at the end of the season.

 

Speculation around Guardiola’s departure date has been rife as the season draws to a close, despite the Catalan having one year left on his contract.

According to report, Man City’s sponsors were among those to have been told that Guardiola will be calling time on a remarkable trophy-ladened spell on Sunday.

The report also shared that Maresca, Guardiola’s former assistant, was a front-runner for the vacant spot at the dugout, with Fabrizio Romano confirming on Tuesday morning that the ex-Chelsea manager will be taking over.

The Italian head coach has been out of work since his mutual departure from Stamford Bridge under strained circumstances on January 1.

But even before his acrimonious mid-season exit, Maresca has been viewed as a long-term successor to Guardiola following their stint working together at Man City.

The 46-year-old served as Guardiola’s assistant between 2022 and 2023 after previously coaching Man City’s youth sides, before departing to earn Championship promotion with Leicester.

Maresca then went on to win the Uefa Conference League and the Club World Cup with Chelsea during his 18-month spell in west London.

Guardiola is set to celebrate his time in English football with an open-top bus parade in Manchester after winning the Carabao Cup and FA Cup this season, but until Monday night, the manager had been notably vague over his future plans.

But before news broke of his shock exit, Guardiola had been keen to tamp down any suggestions that he would be commemorated with any fanfare.

‘The club don’t have to do anything, honestly,’ Guardiola, who has yet to officially confirm his departure, said. ‘The important thing in our lives is that when you look back, you can look with a big smile and say “that was good”.

‘Bernardo (Silva) and John (Stones) can feel that. We spoke about it over the last few days. When you’re old, a grandfather, you can look at the memories. That is the most important thing in life.’

Tired of addressing his contractual situation, Guardiola added with a dose of sarcasm: ‘Whatever happens at the end of the season – and when I extend my contract for three more years – I can look back and say, “how nice has that been?”

‘That is the most important thing by far. Most of the people who lived this time here together can feel it.’

Continue Reading

International News

Arteta: I Will Be The Biggest Ever Bournemouth Fan Against Man City Tonight

Published

on

Spread the love

Mikel Arteta says he will be the “biggest ever” Bournemouth fan when the Cherries take on Manchester City on Tuesday.

 

Arsenal moved a step closer to winning their first Premier League title since 2003-04 after a narrow 1-0 win over Burnley on Monday.

Kai Havertz’s first-half header was enough for Arteta’s side to secure all three points at Emirates Stadium, moving them five clear of City ahead of the final day.

City have a game in hand, which is their trip to the Vitality Stadium, where Pep Guardiola’s side must win if they are to stay alive in the title race.

Arteta revealed he will be watching City’s fixture against Bournemouth, though he will not be in contact with Cherries boss Andoni Iraola.

When asked if he will be a Bournemouth fan on Tuesday, Arteta said: “The biggest ever.

“For Andoni [Iraola] and all the players, and all the people who are supporters of Bournemouth, I think we all are. We know that means, they get our support.

“I don’t think he [Iraola] needs it [a message]. What he’s done in that football club, the transformation, and what they are playing for, I don’t think they need anything else.

“When you look at how Burnley played today, the spirit that they showed, how difficult they made it, so imagine [on Tuesday].”

Since losing 2-1 to City, Arsenal are the only side to win all of their matches (4/4) and also the only side not to concede a goal in the Premier League.

Arsenal have kept 32 clean sheets this season, six more than any other side in Europe’s top five leagues in all competitions.

On Arsenal’s defence, Arteta added: “I think the desire that every single player shows in their defensive duties, their behaviours, the way they work for each other is phenomenal.

“It’s a lot of work, put in by all the coaches as well, and we all know the importance of that and how many results and wins we have because of that.”

Continue Reading

International News

Neymar Included In Brazil’s 2026 World Cup Squad (FULL LIST)

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Brazil superstar Neymar was handed a dramatic recall to the country’s World Cup squad on Monday, returning to the national team after a near three-year absence.

 

The inclusion of Neymar, Brazil’s all-time leading goalscorer with 79 goals in 128 appearances, was the biggest surprise in the 26-man squad named by coach Carlo Ancelotti.

Ancelotti announced Neymar’s selection at a gala ceremony in Rio de Janeiro, with loud cheers ringing out as the veteran attacker’s call-up was confirmed.

Speculation has raged for months over whether the 34-year-old former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain attacker would force his way back into the national team set-up.

The forward, a veteran of the 2014, 2018, and 2022 World Cups, had not played for Brazil since suffering a knee injury during a World Cup qualifying game against Uruguay in 2023.

A mixture of injuries and poor form had left him outside the national team setup, with Ancelotti citing concerns over his fitness after leaving him out of Brazil’s squad for March friendlies against France and Croatia.

However, Neymar, who rejoined boyhood club Santos in January after an injury-ravaged stint in Saudi Arabia, has now earned Ancelotti’s stamp of approval for the World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Brazil, who are chasing a record sixth World Cup crown, open their World Cup campaign against Morocco on June 13 before playing Haiti and Scotland in Group C.

Brazil World Cup Squad

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool/ENG), Ederson (Fenerbahce/TUR), Weverton (Gremio/BRA)

Defenders

Alex Sandro (Flamengo/BRA), Danilo (Flamengo/BRA), Leo Pereira (Flamengo/BRA), Bremer (Juventus/ITA), Douglas Santos (Zenit St Petersburg/RUS), Gabriel Magalhães (Arsenal/ENG), Ibanez (Al-Ahli/KSA), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA), Wesley (Roma/ITA)

Midfielders

Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle/ENG), Casemiro (Manchester United/ENG), Danilo (Botafogo), Fabinho (Al-Ittihad/KSA), and Lucas Paqueta (Flamengo/BRA).

Forwards

Endrick (Lyon/FRA), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal/ENG), Igor Thiago (Brentford/ENG), Luiz Henrique (Zenit/RUS), Matheus Cunha (Manchester United/ENG), Neymar (Santos/BRA), Raphinha (Barcelona/ESP), Rayan (Bournemouth/ENG), Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid/ESP)

 

AFP

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG