Connect with us

International News

S. Korea’s Yoon Defiant As Impeachment Hearings Draw To An End

Published

on

Spread the love
South Korea’s impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol (L) attends the tenth hearing of his impeachment trial over his short-lived imposition of martial law at the Constitutional Court in Seoul on February 20, 2025. (Photo by SONG Kyung-Seok / POOL / AFP)

Suspended President Yoon Suk Yeol said on Tuesday South Korea had been facing an “existential crisis” when he declared martial law last year, remaining defiant and unapologetic as he faced the final day of impeachment hearings that could formally remove him from office.

Yoon’s short-lived suspension of civilian rule plunged democratic South Korea into political turmoil and he was removed from office by parliament in December.

The Constitutional Court in Seoul has held weeks of fraught impeachment hearing, with Tuesday’s proceedings the last before judges decide whether to formally remove Yoon from office over his disastrous martial law declaration.

Yoon, in his closing remarks, defended the December 3 declaration as a “proclamation that the nation was facing an existential crisis”.

“This was never a decision made for my personal benefit as Yoon Suk Yeol,” he told the court.

He said “external forces, including North Korea, along with anti-state elements within our society” were “working together to seriously threaten our national security and sovereignty”.

Opposition lawmaker Jung Chung-rae earlier urged the court to uphold the impeachment in an emotional closing statement recalling his torture at the hands of South Korea’s military government in the 1980s.

“Blindfolded with my underwear, I endured four hours of torture. Being alive was pain in itself,” Lee said, stopping for a few seconds to compose himself.

He urged the court to consider that “countless people would not have had their lives spared” if martial law had succeeded as Yoon had planned.

Tense proceedings

Yoon was not present for much of the day’s hearings.

In opening remarks, his defence team cited a 2024 US Supreme Court ruling, Donald Trump v. the United States, arguing that he cannot be punished for “exercising his core constitutional powers”.

That ruling “should be considered in the context of impeachment proceedings”, Yoon’s lawyer Lee Dong-chan said.

Opposition lawyer Lee Gum-gyu also spoke emotionally about his son, an active-duty soldier he said would have been forced to participate in Yoon’s martial law.

“As a citizen and a father, I feel a sense of rage and betrayal toward Yoon, who tried to turn my son into a martial law soldier,” he told the court.

A number of lawmakers from Yoon’s ruling People Power Party (PPP) were in attendance.

Proceedings were tense, with PPP floor leader Kweon Seong-dong heard swearing at an opposition lawyer.

Outside the court, pro-Yoon protesters chanted “Drop impeachment!”

Some held signs denouncing the Chinese Communist Party and North Korea, which some of Yoon’s supporters have accused, without evidence, of interfering in recent South Korean elections to the benefit of the opposition.

Others held signs saying “Stop the Steal”, echoing US President Trump’s false claims of voter fraud when he lost the 2020 election to Joe Biden.

Ruling expected soon

A verdict is widely expected in mid-March once the court adjourns.

Previously impeached presidents Park Geun-hye and Roh Moo-hyun had to wait 11 and 14 days, respectively, to learn their fates.

South Korea must hold a fresh presidential election within 60 days if Yoon is removed.

The 64-year-old has also been behind bars since he was arrested last month on charges of insurrection, for which he could be sentenced to life in prison or even face the death penalty. His trial began last week.

Much of the impeachment trial has centred on whether Yoon violated the constitution by declaring martial law, which is reserved for national emergencies or times of war.

The opposition has accused him of taking the extraordinary measure without proper justification.

Yoon’s lawyers have said he declared martial law to alert the country to the dangers of “legislative dictatorship” by the opposition.

A survey by polling company Realmeter released on Monday said 52 percent of respondents support Yoon’s formal removal from office.

In contrast, a Gallup poll released last week showed 60 percent in favour and 34 percent against his impeachment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AFP

International News

Neymar Included In Brazil’s 2026 World Cup Squad (FULL LIST)

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Brazil superstar Neymar was handed a dramatic recall to the country’s World Cup squad on Monday, returning to the national team after a near three-year absence.

 

The inclusion of Neymar, Brazil’s all-time leading goalscorer with 79 goals in 128 appearances, was the biggest surprise in the 26-man squad named by coach Carlo Ancelotti.

Ancelotti announced Neymar’s selection at a gala ceremony in Rio de Janeiro, with loud cheers ringing out as the veteran attacker’s call-up was confirmed.

Speculation has raged for months over whether the 34-year-old former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain attacker would force his way back into the national team set-up.

The forward, a veteran of the 2014, 2018, and 2022 World Cups, had not played for Brazil since suffering a knee injury during a World Cup qualifying game against Uruguay in 2023.

A mixture of injuries and poor form had left him outside the national team setup, with Ancelotti citing concerns over his fitness after leaving him out of Brazil’s squad for March friendlies against France and Croatia.

However, Neymar, who rejoined boyhood club Santos in January after an injury-ravaged stint in Saudi Arabia, has now earned Ancelotti’s stamp of approval for the World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Brazil, who are chasing a record sixth World Cup crown, open their World Cup campaign against Morocco on June 13 before playing Haiti and Scotland in Group C.

Brazil World Cup Squad

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool/ENG), Ederson (Fenerbahce/TUR), Weverton (Gremio/BRA)

Defenders

Alex Sandro (Flamengo/BRA), Danilo (Flamengo/BRA), Leo Pereira (Flamengo/BRA), Bremer (Juventus/ITA), Douglas Santos (Zenit St Petersburg/RUS), Gabriel Magalhães (Arsenal/ENG), Ibanez (Al-Ahli/KSA), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA), Wesley (Roma/ITA)

Midfielders

Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle/ENG), Casemiro (Manchester United/ENG), Danilo (Botafogo), Fabinho (Al-Ittihad/KSA), and Lucas Paqueta (Flamengo/BRA).

Forwards

Endrick (Lyon/FRA), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal/ENG), Igor Thiago (Brentford/ENG), Luiz Henrique (Zenit/RUS), Matheus Cunha (Manchester United/ENG), Neymar (Santos/BRA), Raphinha (Barcelona/ESP), Rayan (Bournemouth/ENG), Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid/ESP)

 

AFP

Continue Reading

International News

Barcelona Seals New Deal With Head Coach Flick

Published

on

Spread the love

Barcelona completes contract renewal with head coach Hansi Flick, per official announcement.

 

According to Fabrizio Romano, Flick’s new contract with Barcelona runs until June 2028, with an option to extend until June 2029, meaning the coach could stay for three more seasons.

In his first season in charge, Flick led the team to a domestic treble of La Liga, Copa del Rey and Spanish Super Cup.

This season, Barcelona won the Spanish Super Cup again and retained the La Liga title, bringing his total to five trophies in two seasons.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Erling Haaland Makes Acting Debut In Animated Film 

Published

on

Spread the love

Erling Haaland will follow in the footsteps of David Beckham and Vinnie Jones by taking his first steps into the acting world, with the Norwegian striker set to make his film debut.

 

The Manchester City striker will voice a character described as ‘an animated version of himself’, in the upcoming animated film Viqueens.

This is according to the Hollywood Reporter, who say that the 25-year-old is playing a Viking called Haaland in the motion picture.

The adventure-comedy is directed and co-written by the award-winning Harald Zwart, the Norwegian director known for The Karate Kid and Agent Cody Banks.

‘As a Norwegian storyteller making a Viking adventure for a global audience, having Erling Haaland join feels incredibly exciting,’ said Zwart.

‘Erling has already become a kind of real-life Viking icon around the world – powerful, fearless and uniquely Norwegian.

‘Bringing him into this universe as himself gives the film an unexpected energy and authenticity that felt completely right for this story.’

Solveig Langeland, managing director of Sola Media, added: ‘Erling Haaland transcends sports – he’s a global cultural figure.

‘His involvement brings another exciting dimension to a film that already combines international adventure, humour, and emotional storytelling in a way we believe will resonate with audiences everywhere.’

He follows the likes of Beckham and Jones, who have already hit the cinema screens around the country.

Beckham made his silver screen debut in his pal Guy Ritchie’s King Arthur back in 2017 alongside film stars Charlie Hunnam and Eric Bana, playing hardened battleguard Trigger in the flick.

Meanwhile, Jones is known for portraying gangsters on screen, and as recently as 2024 played gamekeeper Geoff in Ritchie’s series The Gentlemen, featuring Theo James.

He famously also played Coach Dinklage in She’s the Man, and was The Juggernaut in X-Men: The Last Stand.

Haaland may need a while before he becomes the big actor that Jones has become, though, with plenty of years on the pitch still ahead of him.

The striker’s focus will currently be on winning the Premier League with Manchester City, as they look to hunt down Arsenal, who are two points ahead at the top, with two games to go.

Haaland will next be in action on Tuesday night as they travel to Bournemouth.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG