Connect with us

News

NBA Slams Ibom Air Over Passenger’s Ordeal, Calls For Investigation

Published

on

Spread the love

The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has criticised Ibom Air and the Airline Operators of Nigeria over their handling of an August 10, 2025, incident involving Comfort Emmanson aboard an Ibom Air flight.

 

NBA described the airline’s actions, including a lifetime flight ban imposed on Ms. Emmanson, as “reckless,” “unlawful,” and a violation of her right to dignity.

“The treatment of Ms. Comfort Emmanson by Ibom Air was reckless and violated her right to dignity of a human person,” the body said in a statement by its president, Mazi Afam Osigwe, and general secretary, Dr Mobolaji Ojibara.

According to the statement, Emmanson was forcibly removed from the aircraft, publicly stripped of her clothing, and humiliated in an incident that was recorded and widely circulated online.

It called the treatment “degrading” and a breach of her privacy and dignity, falling short of expected standards in the aviation industry.

“The Nigerian Bar Association strongly condemns the treatment of Ms. Comfort Emmanson in the incident aboard an Ibom Air flight on 10 August 2025 and the subsequent lifetime flight ban imposed on her by Ibom Air and the Airline Operators of Nigeria. These actions are heavy-handed, unlawful, and a grave affront to the rule of law and human dignity.

“It is deeply disturbing that Ms. Emmanson was forcibly removed from the aircraft, stripped of her clothing in public, and subjected to humiliation that was filmed and circulated online. Such conduct is degrading, violates her right to dignity and privacy, and falls far short of the standards of civility and professionalism expected in the aviation sector. No person, regardless of the circumstances, should be treated in such a dehumanising manner.

“While Ibom Air has issued its account of events, other video footage has emerged showing an Ibom Air hostess preventing Ms. Emmanson from alighting from the aircraft, a conduct that could constitute false imprisonment and a possible provocation that escalated the situation. This makes it all the more critical that the matter be subjected to an independent, impartial investigation by the appropriate authorities before any disciplinary action is taken against her.”

The association criticised the lifetime ban as a violation of fair hearing principles, arguing that Emmanson was not allowed to respond to the allegations.

“The decision to impose a lifetime ban without affording Ms. Emmanson a fair opportunity to be heard is equally troubling. Ibom Air has so far only presented its own version of events without giving her the chance to respond.

“This one-sided process, culminating in a ban supported by AON, breaches the fundamental principle of fair hearing and renders the decision legally and morally indefensible. The power to suspend or restrict a passenger’s right to fly rests with the appropriate statutory regulator, not private associations or airline operators acting unilaterally. The photographing, dissemination, and online circulation of indecent images of Ms. Emmanson is also an egregious invasion of privacy and a criminal act.

“Even if the incident was to be reported, the footage should have been blurred or edited in such a way that it did not expose her nudity to the public. Those responsible for capturing and distributing the unedited footage must be identified and prosecuted. Such acts erode public trust and undermine the rights of all citizens to be treated with dignity and respect,” it said.

News

Tinubu: No Leader Has Impacted Nigeria like Babangida

Published

on

Spread the love

 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has congratulated elder statesman and former military President, General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida (rtd), on his 85th birthday, saying the ex Military leader has impacted Nigeria in ways no other leader has done.

 

President Tinubu disclosed this in a statement by Bayo Onanuga, his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy.

He also described General Babangida as an outstanding leader whose remarkable military career culminated in his leadership of the nation following the 1985 coup.

The President said “Like him or not, former President Babangida impacted Nigeria in ways no other leader has. His eight-year reign left enduring marks on our political, economic, and geographic landscape.

“He expanded the nation’s economy, established lasting infrastructure, and created several agencies and institutions that continue to serve the national interest. But for his foresight, wisdom, and sense of equity and fairness, many states in the federation might not exist today.”

The President noted that General Babangida’s name and legacy would remain indelible in Nigeria’s history because of his many contributions to national development.

“Even in retirement, living a quiet life at his Minna Hilltop residence in Niger State, General Babangida continues to offer valuable counsel and guidance to the nation. His advice and wise counsel remain an inspiration to younger generations”, the President said.

” I wish you continued grace, good health, and renewed strength. May Almighty Allah keep you with us for many more years to come,” the President added.

Continue Reading

News

I Am Not Afraid Of Sack- Super Falcons Coach

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Super Falcons head coach Justine Madugu says he is not afraid of losing his job despite mounting pressure following Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

 

Madugu’s future has come under intense scrutiny after the Super Falcons suffered a 2-1 defeat to South Africa in the decisive CAF play-off in Morocco.

The loss ended Nigeria’s remarkable record of qualifying for every edition of the FIFA Women’s World Cup since the tournament began in 1991.

For the first time since 1991, Nigeria will miss the Women’s World Cup.

The pressure on Madugu intensified after the Super Falcons failed to secure automatic World Cup qualification at the WAFCON.

With calls growing for the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to make changes to the technical setup, Madugu insists he is prepared to accept whatever decision the football authorities make.

The coach said representing Nigeria has been a privilege and that he has no fear of being relieved of his position.

“I am not afraid of being sacked. To the glory of God, I have served my country. It was a privilege that was given to me,” Madugu said.

He added, “So far, I have played almost 28 games, won 19, lost four and drawn four. But this defeat came at crucial moments that people did not expect.”

Continue Reading

News

Gumi Explains Why Funding Mass Marriages Is Government Responsibility

Published

on

Spread the love

 

Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, says it is the responsibility of the government to use public funds to support marriage arrangements in states operating under Shariah law.

In a post on his Facebook page on Thursday, Gumi argued that governments in Shariah-governed societies have a duty to address social needs arising from the prohibition of sexual relationships outside marriage.

The Islamic scholar noted that government intervention to assist people who cannot afford marriage should be viewed as part of responsible governance, especially where prostitution, fornication, adultery and promiscuity are prohibited by both religious principles and state laws.

According to him, public resources could legitimately be used to support young people in urgent need of marriage, as well as women who face limited opportunities to find suitable spouses.

“In a Shariah law-driven state, where prostitution, fornication, adultery, and promiscuity are prohibited by both divine and state laws, using public funds to facilitate the marriage of women who are in excess of the available pool of eligible men, or of any young person in dire need of marriage, is a legitimate and responsible component of good governance,” he wrote.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 TheColumn NG